[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Should ENDISWAL be guaranteed in every dungeon?

Should ENDISWAL be guaranteed in every dungeon?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Should ENDISWAL be guaranteed in every dungeon?

Postby Xanopticon on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:43 pm

All this just reminded me of a subdungeon I haven't found in a while, it's basically a square but there is a enemy enclosed by walls in one of the corners.... I never did find out what was there. I tend to convert ENDISWALL instanty, so even it being guaranteed wouldn't help me much lol.
Xanopticon

Postby PeaceChaser on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:25 am

Thanks intoxication. I have seen that dungeon, but I thought it was the subdungeon where you endiswal through and there's piles of gold all around. I always converted endiswal before I went down there so I just assumed it was a the gold subdungeon. I'll keep my eye out for it now.
PeaceChaser

Postby q 3 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:13 am

There's another glyph that works for two of the three enclosed subdungeons (but not for the gold one), although you still often get a dungeon without ENDISWAL or the other glyph. It's a pretty clever trick, so I'm loathe to spoil it. :)
q 3

Postby MeVII on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:33 pm

MeVII

Postby q 3 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:36 pm

I like alternate solutions and love tricky puzzles, but having a puzzle that the player literally cannot solve - where there is nothing that you can do or could have done to get past it, save restarting and hoping that the dice roll your way the next time - seems to me to be needlessly frustrating. Frustrating for the player who encounters the puzzle for the first time, and maybe even figures out a solution, but has no way of implementing that solution; and frustrating for the player who has solved it before, and knows that there are valuable resources to be had (resources which could well be the difference between victory and defeat in the main dungeon) but has no way of accessing those resources. I can't see how the completely random possibility of a 100% unsolvable situation adds anything of value to the game, while it definitely detracts.

With the new deity giving an additional 50% chance of obtaining ENDISWAL in any dungeon, perhaps this is less of an issue. I've also thought of a third way to solve the Yin-Yang dungeon (but none of the others) that involves a rather convoluted use of three different glyphs, but I haven't been able to test it and am not sure if it would actually work (and since it requires three specific glyphs, the odds that you'll actually be able to use that solution are even lower).
q 3

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons