[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Help with extra dungeon in the freeware version?(Spoilers)

Help with extra dungeon in the freeware version?(Spoilers)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Help with extra dungeon in the freeware version?(Spoilers)

Postby joek0 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:51 pm

I have just started playing again since v.21 came out. I took a break since I had done about 75% of v.15. I am trying out the extra dungeon right now(Boss Hive). Since I am a little rusty, I am having trouble with this dungeon. The stat boosts to the enemies makes the dungeon run much harder. Can people offer some extra tips for the Boss Hive.
joek0

Re: Help with extra dungeon in the freeware version?(Spoiler

Postby Darvin on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:52 am

The regular monsters are much stronger, but the boss is just a regular boss. This means that you'll probably be attacking the boss with fewer potions and at a lower level, but he's not as strong as a ranked mode boss and you only have one to worry about unlike the challenge dungeons. So you want to focus on tactics that suit a shorter buildup to take on the boss at a lower level.

Your best class choices, as always, are the Vampire and Transmuter. These guys are just plain broken to begin with, and shouldn't have any difficulty leveling up to a point at which they can smack down the boss. Aside from that, I find the Assassin is your best selection. His ability to auto-kill lower level monsters allows him to completely bypass their hyped up stats, while APHEELSIK gives you a reliable way to take on higher level monsters to get the XP rolling. The fighter is another top-notch choice, given that leveling up is your biggest challenge and he gets bonus XP as a class feature.
Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:31 am

Remember that not all bosses are equal, and if you get Tower of Goo/Meatman/Frank you could consider just retrying for a different boss. Meanwhile, Jormungand (and actually, snakes in general) and the Bandit Boss are complete pushovers.
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:49 am

Wall of Goo is fine if you're playing the Vampire, Half-Dragon, have some way to boost your mana way up, or if you're lucky enough to find a flaming sword for sale. Any time you can deal lots of magic damage, WoG becomes very manageable. Don't count out Dracul or Mysteria as last-minute worship choices if the boss is WoG! Both have a relatively cheap boons for extra mana and their penalties are irrelevant if all that's left is duking it out with WoG.

Other bosses may also be quite weak depending on what you have. Gharbad is a joke if you have death protection. Medusa is easily dispatched if you have poison, and her low HP make her very vulnerable to attrition from an XP catapult or even a simple double-heal from the the Glowing Guardian. The Iron Man is a little challenging if you're counting on BURNDAYRAZ, but if you have other ways to expend your mana for extra damage (CYDSTEPP or HALPMEH work wonders here) he's easily dealt with.
Darvin

Postby metroid composite on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:00 pm

metroid composite

Postby Darvin on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:31 am

Darvin

Postby metroid composite on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 pm

Last edited by metroid composite on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
metroid composite

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:55 pm

I actually won the Boss Hive dungeon as a vampire without Fireballs by worshipping Taurog. I don't remember how I did it though, but it's probably not a consistent strategy and I remember I had to do some really strange acrobatics and pulled through the skin of my teeth.
TigerKnee

Postby joek0 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I was trying to do it with the vampire for the last few hours. The vampire run was tough for the first few levels in all my previous runs. But on my final vampire run, I was able to get momentum after hitting level 3. I can see that certain monster spawns are going to be tough for certain classes. When I found out that the boss was the iron man, I panicked. I started fighting him at level 6 with constant fireballs, but forgot of his massive magical resistance. I was able to beat him with physical attacks and level catapulting once to level 7. That was a hard run. I will next try a transmuter run.

Also, has anyone been able to clear the hive of all the monsters. Some of the tough ones are ones with high health or resistances.
joek0

Postby metroid composite on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:59 pm

metroid composite

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons