Labyrinth help!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Labyrinth help!

Postby Herborist on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Can anyone clue me in to how I'm supposed to beat the labyrinth?

I've tried every combination of race and preparations for all of the starter classes and I keep running into the same problems - the boss has too much health, I have too little health, and I rarely find an ENDISWALL glyph (if ever).
User avatar
Herborist
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:27 am

Re: Labyrinth help!

Postby FDru on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Remember that Rex only appears to the N, E, S or W of you (never diagonally). So try to fight in positions where he will be passable after he chases you. If you haven't gotten the Dragon Shield yet I'd suggest doing that (beat dragon isles, fairly easy with a berserker) as the extra resistances help a lot.
User avatar
FDru
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Labyrinth help!

Postby Herborist on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:11 pm

FDru wrote:Remember that Rex only appears to the N, E, S or W of you (never diagonally). So try to fight in positions where he will be passable after he chases you. If you haven't gotten the Dragon Shield yet I'd suggest doing that (beat dragon isles, fairly easy with a berserker) as the extra resistances help a lot.


I didn't know that, actually. Thanks for the tip.

How would I access thedragon isles?
User avatar
Herborist
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:27 am

Re: Labyrinth help!

Postby FDru on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Ah, I don't remember that... it's above the Druid Grove on the map, probably need to beat that first.
User avatar
FDru
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Labyrinth help!

Postby Halion on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:04 pm

The defend prep from the mage tower is handy for starting with a way to break walls. Binlor is also excellent for this. I find the dungeon isn't too bad if you can get enough room to move about. The current Rock Heart+Pisorf+Strength Potion combo works well here, Wizard especially should find that this solves the level without too much hassle, but I've tried it successfully with priest and thief too.
User avatar
Halion
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Labyrinth help!

Postby Herborist on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:08 pm

FDru wrote:Ah, I don't remember that... it's above the Druid Grove on the map, probably need to beat that first.


I already have it beaten, and no quest for obtaining any item from the dragon isles.

Halion wrote:The defend prep from the mage tower is handy for starting with a way to break walls. Binlor is also excellent for this. I find the dungeon isn't too bad if you can get enough room to move about. The current Rock Heart+Pisorf+Strength Potion combo works well here, Wizard especially should find that this solves the level without too much hassle, but I've tried it successfully with priest and thief too.


I tried doing this just now, and I find that Rex's HP is too high to kill him with magic.

I usually go gnome + wizard + rock heart + defend prep + mana prep + strength potion + schadenfreude.
User avatar
Herborist
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:27 am

Re: Labyrinth help!

Postby Halion on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:19 pm

Herborist wrote:
FDru wrote:Ah, I don't remember that... it's above the Druid Grove on the map, probably need to beat that first.


I already have it beaten, and no quest for obtaining any item from the dragon isles.


The ultimate dungeons in north, east and west award an item instead of a boss trophy. (South currently has no Vicious dungeons, so I assume that it's final dungeon isn't in yet, although there is foreshadowing for it now).

If you beat Dragon Isles you'll get an item regardless of quest status.

Halion wrote:The defend prep from the mage tower is handy for starting with a way to break walls. Binlor is also excellent for this. I find the dungeon isn't too bad if you can get enough room to move about. The current Rock Heart+Pisorf+Strength Potion combo works well here, Wizard especially should find that this solves the level without too much hassle, but I've tried it successfully with priest and thief too.


I tried doing this just now, and I find that Rex's HP is too high to kill him with magic.

I usually go gnome + wizard + rock heart + defend prep + mana prep + strength potion + schadenfreude.


I always use elf for this combo. Every extra mana you have before drinking the strength potion is invaluable. If the combo is functioning correctly you shouldn't need mana potions. Rex has very high hp and it is a pain, which is why an attrition build like this is good. Ideally you want to be damaging him at above his regen as early as possibly, and just engage him from low level. The way the labyrinth is laid out can make that a bit frustrating though.
User avatar
Halion
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Labyrinth help!

Postby Herborist on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:28 pm

Halion wrote:
Herborist wrote:
FDru wrote:Ah, I don't remember that... it's above the Druid Grove on the map, probably need to beat that first.


I already have it beaten, and no quest for obtaining any item from the dragon isles.


The ultimate dungeons in north, east and west award an item instead of a boss trophy. (South currently has no Vicious dungeons, so I assume that it's final dungeon isn't in yet, although there is foreshadowing for it now).

If you beat Dragon Isles you'll get an item regardless of quest status.

Halion wrote:The defend prep from the mage tower is handy for starting with a way to break walls. Binlor is also excellent for this. I find the dungeon isn't too bad if you can get enough room to move about. The current Rock Heart+Pisorf+Strength Potion combo works well here, Wizard especially should find that this solves the level without too much hassle, but I've tried it successfully with priest and thief too.


I tried doing this just now, and I find that Rex's HP is too high to kill him with magic.

I usually go gnome + wizard + rock heart + defend prep + mana prep + strength potion + schadenfreude.


I always use elf for this combo. Every extra mana you have before drinking the strength potion is invaluable. If the combo is functioning correctly you shouldn't need mana potions. Rex has very high hp and it is a pain, which is why an attrition build like this is good. Ideally you want to be damaging him at above his regen as early as possibly, and just engage him from low level. The way the labyrinth is laid out can make that a bit frustrating though.


I'm afraid that sort of gameplay is above me. I want to beat this, but at the same time, I just don't have the energy for doing this more than 2 - 3 times a session. It's frustrating that I haven't gotten even 5 hours of this beta. =/
User avatar
Herborist
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:27 am

Re: Labyrinth help!

Postby Wargizmo on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:09 am

The trick to beating this dungeon (and most dungeons) is to leave as many of the low levels alone as you can and only go after high level monsters to level up. The boss spawns after a certain number of kills, so if you can kill the minimal amount of stuff you'll be much higher level when by the time he goes after you. You'll also want to use the Magnet: Defend preparation, which automatically gives you a wall breaking or knockback glyph at the start, this means you'll never get stuck (unless you run out of mana and have no pots) and won't have to fight the boss until the very end and you'll also be able to avoid killing low levels if you don't want to.

I'd also recommend reading most of the threads in this forum because there's loads of good tips for just general gameplay and strategy, which will help you out a lot.
Wargizmo
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Labyrinth help!

Postby Herborist on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:44 am

Wargizmo wrote:The trick to beating this dungeon (and most dungeons) is to leave as many of the low levels alone as you can and only go after high level monsters to level up. The boss spawns after a certain number of kills, so if you can kill the minimal amount of stuff you'll be much higher level when by the time he goes after you. You'll also want to use the Magnet: Defend preparation, which automatically gives you a wall breaking or knockback glyph at the start, this means you'll never get stuck (unless you run out of mana and have no pots) and won't have to fight the boss until the very end and you'll also be able to avoid killing low levels if you don't want to.

I'd also recommend reading most of the threads in this forum because there's loads of good tips for just general gameplay and strategy, which will help you out a lot.


Your entire post is basically suggestions other people have given already or telling me to go find info elsewhere.

Why exactly did you bother to post?
User avatar
Herborist
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:27 am

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests