Labyrinth help!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Labyrinth help!

Postby Wargizmo on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:11 am

Herborist wrote:
Wargizmo wrote:The trick to beating this dungeon (and most dungeons) is to leave as many of the low levels alone as you can and only go after high level monsters to level up. The boss spawns after a certain number of kills, so if you can kill the minimal amount of stuff you'll be much higher level when by the time he goes after you. You'll also want to use the Magnet: Defend preparation, which automatically gives you a wall breaking or knockback glyph at the start, this means you'll never get stuck (unless you run out of mana and have no pots) and won't have to fight the boss until the very end and you'll also be able to avoid killing low levels if you don't want to.

I'd also recommend reading most of the threads in this forum because there's loads of good tips for just general gameplay and strategy, which will help you out a lot.

Your entire post is basically suggestions other people have given already or telling me to go find info elsewhere.

Why exactly did you bother to post?

Yeah I probably left too much stuff out. I forgot to mention mine is a more melee based strategy, different from the caster based strategies others have posted, if you choose a class like paladin or monk that has some tanking ability it will be easier to kill some of the higher level monsters at the start, and you'll be able to absorb more hits from the boss. Basically you want to take the melee approach and focus on damage, hitpoints and physical resist so you can tank the boss at the end rather than trying to take out his massive amounts of hitpoints with spells.

I hope that helps a bit more. Good luck with it.
Wargizmo

Postby Herborist on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:40 am

Wargizmo wrote:
Herborist wrote:
Wargizmo wrote:The trick to beating this dungeon (and most dungeons) is to leave as many of the low levels alone as you can and only go after high level monsters to level up. The boss spawns after a certain number of kills, so if you can kill the minimal amount of stuff you'll be much higher level when by the time he goes after you. You'll also want to use the Magnet: Defend preparation, which automatically gives you a wall breaking or knockback glyph at the start, this means you'll never get stuck (unless you run out of mana and have no pots) and won't have to fight the boss until the very end and you'll also be able to avoid killing low levels if you don't want to.

I'd also recommend reading most of the threads in this forum because there's loads of good tips for just general gameplay and strategy, which will help you out a lot.

Your entire post is basically suggestions other people have given already or telling me to go find info elsewhere.

Why exactly did you bother to post?

Yeah I probably left too much stuff out. I forgot to mention mine is a more melee based strategy, different from the caster based strategies others have posted, if you choose a class like paladin or monk that has some tanking ability it will be easier to kill some of the higher level monsters at the start, and you'll be able to absorb more hits from the boss. Basically you want to take the melee approach and focus on damage, hitpoints and physical resist so you can tank the boss at the end rather than trying to take out his massive amounts of hitpoints with spells.

I hope that helps a bit more. Good luck with it.

A paladin or a monk? What are you talking about? The quest specifically says I can only use the four first-tier classes.
Herborist

Postby Wargizmo on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Oh right, forgot that that was a requirement. I've finished it with priest though so it's definitely doable, probably just have to go with dwarf for the extra hp
Wargizmo

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Man, you're pretty rude to people attempting to help, even if they missed out something.

Not many classes, even wizard, is suited for a pure fireball strategy to take out the boss HP, especially since Rex has a lot of HP.

I personally recommend using either the Venom Sword or TT's Poison boon (in other words, physicals) to take him down to a point where he goes berserk and will kill you in one hit, THEN switching to fireballs to take out the rest of his HP. Pisorf works too because there are so many walls in the dungeon as an alternate attack spell.
TigerKnee

Postby Herborist on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:53 pm

TigerKnee wrote:Man, you're pretty rude to people attempting to help, even if they missed out something.

Not many classes, even wizard, is suited for a pure fireball strategy to take out the boss HP, especially since Rex has a lot of HP.

I personally recommend using either the Venom Sword or TT's Poison boon (in other words, physicals) to take him down to a point where he goes berserk and will kill you in one hit, THEN switching to fireballs to take out the rest of his HP. Pisorf works too because there are so many walls in the dungeon as an alternate attack spell.

You're assuming tone and attitude based on nothing. Did I swear at him? Did I insult him in any way? Did I imply an insult? What am I supposed to do? Throw him a parade because he rephrased other people's advice, then game some more advice that was entirely useless to the situation?

Guess I have to go get the venom sword, which is a problem itself.
Herborist

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Herborist wrote:You're assuming tone and attitude based on nothing. Did I swear at him? Did I insult him in any way? Did I imply an insult? What am I supposed to do? Throw him a parade because he rephrased other people's advice, then game some more advice that was entirely useless to the situation?

If you can't tell why sentences like "Why exactly did you bother to post?" isn't rude, I don't think I can help you with that.

As for "what am I supposed to do", gee, how about

"Thanks for trying to help, however, you have missed the fact that the quest has to be done with the 4 basic classes. Could I get some help for those classes, rather than Monk/Paladin?"

See? I said the exact same thing and I didn't come off as someone who's entitled to receive help.
TigerKnee

Postby Herborist on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:33 pm

TigerKnee wrote:
Herborist wrote:You're assuming tone and attitude based on nothing. Did I swear at him? Did I insult him in any way? Did I imply an insult? What am I supposed to do? Throw him a parade because he rephrased other people's advice, then game some more advice that was entirely useless to the situation?

If you can't tell why sentences like "Why exactly did you bother to post?" isn't rude, I don't think I can help you with that.

As for "what am I supposed to do", gee, how about

"Thanks for trying to help, however, you have missed the fact that the quest has to be done with the 4 basic classes. Could I get some help for those classes, rather than Monk/Paladin?"

See? I said the exact same thing and I didn't come off as someone who's entitled to receive help.

In other words, my hostility is entirely in your head. Good to know.
Herborist

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:40 pm

Herborist wrote:In other words, my hostility is entirely in your head. Good to know.

Sigh.

Did you notice how I'm expressing my hostility? Yet I didn't insult you or imply an insult in any way, whoa!

But hey, I guess I can live with the fact that you have to live with being... well, you.
TigerKnee

Postby bla0815 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:47 pm

Or if you can't be bothered to be explicitly polite just ignore posts that don't help you? Why post about it?
bla0815

Postby Herborist on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:30 pm

TigerKnee wrote:
Herborist wrote:In other words, my hostility is entirely in your head. Good to know.

Sigh.

Did you notice how I'm expressing my hostility? Yet I didn't insult you or imply an insult in any way, whoa!

But hey, I guess I can live with the fact that you have to live with being... well, you.

Yes, it's such a burden being me. Unlike you, I DON'T see hostility everywhere. How do I get by? :roll:
Herborist

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons