Beta update: Kingdom renovation crew

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Beta update: Kingdom renovation crew

Postby Darvin on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:43 pm

Unfortunately, since many scenarios now have "fixed" bosses, polymorph probably won't be making a comeback, or at very least won't affect the boss. Polymorph is basically what broke Lothlorien, and that tactic was only held back by the fact that scumming stage 3 was horrendously time consuming.
Darvin

Postby GG Crono on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:30 pm

I agree that APHEELSIK has been overnerfed by the poison change. Perhaps the Venom Blade could apply a weaker version of poison, and APHEELSIK could be reverted to the older one?

EDIT: Upon further testing...yeah, APHEELSIK is kind of worthless right now. It couldn't even enable me to kill a level 2 goat.
Last edited by GG Crono on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GG Crono

Postby Wargizmo on Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:31 am

subanark wrote:I seem to be losing the patches preperation every time I take it, requiring I spend another 100G to get it back.
Here is my results from using Patches
-poison +3 max health
-random teleport +1 max mana
-reveal squares +3 max health
-teleport +4% resists
-?(double level) +3 max health
-poison +5% attack
-nothing +nothing
-teleport +3 max health
-nothing +nothing
-mana burn +4% resists
GG boon helps to get rid of debuffs

It seems that it's really worthwhile to take him, given that the buffs are permanent and the debuffs are temporary, at worst you'll be wasting a potion to get rid of it. Having said that, you don't seem to get multiple buffs for levelling up multiple times from one kill, so if you're using the strength potion trick to get an insta level 5 or 6 at the start of the game it's probably not worth taking. It's also a pain that it costs an inventory slot. Definitely makes for some interesting choices now.
Wargizmo

Postby subanark on Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:36 am

Wargizmo wrote:
subanark wrote:I seem to be losing the patches preperation every time I take it, requiring I spend another 100G to get it back.
Here is my results from using Patches
-poison +3 max health
-random teleport +1 max mana
-reveal squares +3 max health
-teleport +4% resists
-?(double level) +3 max health
-poison +5% attack
-nothing +nothing
-teleport +3 max health
-nothing +nothing
-mana burn +4% resists
GG boon helps to get rid of debuffs

It seems that it's really worthwhile to take him, given that the buffs are permanent and the debuffs are temporary, at worst you'll be wasting a potion to get rid of it. Having said that, you don't seem to get multiple buffs for levelling up multiple times from one kill, so if you're using the strength potion trick to get an insta level 5 or 6 at the start of the game it's probably not worth taking. It's also a pain that it costs an inventory slot. Definitely makes for some interesting choices now.

You misunderstand, I got 2 buffs from leveling up that one time, +3 max health and 4% resist. I'm just not sure what the debuf was since I could have been poisoned and it got removed immediately. One thing you do have to note is that Patches takes up an inventory slot (physical only I think) that you can convert for 10. For classes that have few physical slots, you might need to throw away patches to get another item.
subanark

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:03 am

It seems that it's really worthwhile to take him, given that the buffs are permanent and the debuffs are temporary, at worst you'll be wasting a potion to get rid of it.

The big risk is getting hit by a nasty effect - like mana burn - during a boss fight. Had this happen to me when I was using Patches and it nearly lost me the game because I was playing an elf worshipping Dracul and was counting on a refill of my twenty-four mana, which didn't happen. I guess you can convert patches at that point, but where's the fun in that?
Darvin

Postby spoomak on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:37 am

An item named "Patches" that gives random positive and negative effects? The developers clearly have a sense of humor :lol:
spoomak

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:42 am

That one went right over my head. Good find :-)
Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:26 am

I actually thought it was a reference to Xom in Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, the chaos God who randomly helps and hurts you at times (usually hurts so patches is quite nice in comparison!)

The highest ranking a Xom worshipper has is "Xom's Teddy Bear." Guess what Patches is represented as.
TigerKnee

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons