Theorizing about MA's "Magic" boon

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Theorizing about MA's "Magic" boon

Postby gjaustin on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:43 pm

What I'd really like to see for MA is the removal of the attack penalty on the fireball boon. Even it meant that the piety cost would have to go up a little bit, that would give MA a boon other than Refreshment that's worth taking.

I'd also like to see either the mana penalty reduced/removed for Taurog's boons or his death protection boon only require 2 or 3 of the items so that you can actually reasonably use it.
gjaustin

Postby Troggle on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:48 pm

gjaustin wrote:What I'd really like to see for MA is the removal of the attack penalty on the fireball boon. Even it meant that the piety cost would have to go up a little bit, that would give MA a boon other than Refreshment that's worth taking.

I'd also like to see either the mana penalty reduced/removed for Taurog's boons or his death protection boon only require 2 or 3 of the items so that you can actually reasonably use it.

Multiple layers of death protection from a god who's pretty easy to get piety with is a very powerful boon. I personally believe that without the serious inventory restrictions Taurog would be rather overpowered.
Troggle

Postby Darvin on Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:37 am

I personally believe that without the serious inventory restrictions Taurog would be rather overpowered.

For a typical character, I fully disagree. Taurog's boons would be quite well-balanced without taking up any inventory space at all, since the -2 mana per boon is a pretty huge blow.

The problem comes with characters like Monks and Berserkers which can conceivably get away with eschewing magic altogether. Once your mana drops below about 7 it stops mattering because you basically have no relevant spellcasting power remaining. At this point, there's no further penalty to accruing further boons and the inventory space requirement is necessary as a counter-balance.

I think something needs to be done about Taurog, because right now his boons are not nearly strong enough to merit the -2 mana cost, and only make sense for characters who don't have many useful spells to begin with. As well, it'd be nice if he granted some way to bypass physical resistance, because walking down Taurog's path and then encountering Wall of Goo is a game-ender.
Darvin

Postby Wargizmo on Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:06 am

Darvin wrote:
I personally believe that without the serious inventory restrictions Taurog would be rather overpowered.

For a typical character, I fully disagree. Taurog's boons would be quite well-balanced without taking up any inventory space at all, since the -2 mana per boon is a pretty huge blow.

The problem comes with characters like Monks and Berserkers which can conceivably get away with eschewing magic altogether. Once your mana drops below about 7 it stops mattering because you basically have no relevant spellcasting power remaining. At this point, there's no further penalty to accruing further boons and the inventory space requirement is necessary as a counter-balance.

I think something needs to be done about Taurog, because right now his boons are not nearly strong enough to merit the -2 mana cost, and only make sense for characters who don't have many useful spells to begin with. As well, it'd be nice if he granted some way to bypass physical resistance, because walking down Taurog's path and then encountering Wall of Goo is a game-ender.

It would be great if one of Taurog's items would penetrate physical resistance, it makes a lot of sense since Taurog worshippers don't have any other way to kill physically immune. Perhaps instead of just the +5 damage, the sword could go back to being 30 piety but would also include a 25% physical resist penetration. Similarly the armor could increase maximum physical resist by, say, 5% as well as the normal 15% increase, and the helm could increase max magical resist in a similar way.

I think one of the things with Taurog is that his items haven't increased in power along with all the items that are for sale from shops. When the beta first came out you had the Whurrgarbl sword and that was about it as far as truly powerful items went, most of the Taurog items were better than the stuff you could prepare with or buy in shops, so it was well worth sacrificing 2 mana for. Now you have the Dragon shield, the Trisword, The vampiric sword, and add to that most of the lesser items are much cheaper than they were, so you can acquire 4-5 of them on a single run.
Wargizmo

Postby Darvin on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:09 am

Similarly the armor could increase maximum physical resist by, say, 5% as well as the normal 15% increase

Too good for monks and berserkers (which already love Taurog). I'd rather see the base number bumped up; 15% for an inventory slot and -2 mana is rarely worthwhile, and kinda pales in comparison to Dracul offering 20% to both resistances with no strings attached. I only get it if I can't survive a single hit from the boss or if I can stack it with other forms of damage resistance.

Remember that resistances have accumulating gains. Going from 0% -> 10% is literally a 10% damage reduction. Going from 50% -> 60% is actually an effective improvement of 20%. This means that the Monk and Berserker get the most out of Taurog's resistance items. To make matters worse, these are the classes that have the least to lose from the inventory space requirement and mana penalty respectively. I believe that the Monk and Berserker's synergy with Taurog needs to be toned down so Taurog can be buffed properly for the benefit of every other class.

I think one of the things with Taurog is that his items haven't increased in power along with all the items that are for sale from shops.

I'd agree with that. There are a lot of better ways to spend your inventory space now.

I like the idea of putting the DR-piercing on the sword. It's been one of his worst items since it got nerfed (+5 base damage for an unconvertable inventory slot and -2 mana is a horrible deal), particularly nasty at higher levels. Physical resist pierce would once-again give it a nice role. It also would be a neat synergy with MA's "Magic" boon, partially negating each other's drawbacks...
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:49 pm

Darvin wrote:Remember that resistances have accumulating gains. Going from 0% -> 10% is literally a 10% damage reduction. Going from 50% -> 60% is actually an effective improvement of 20%. This means that the Monk and Berserker get the most out of Taurog's resistance items. To make matters worse, these are the classes that have the least to lose from the inventory space requirement and mana penalty respectively. I believe that the Monk and Berserker's synergy with Taurog needs to be toned down so Taurog can be buffed properly for the benefit of every other class.

I'm actually of the opinion that the Berserker's magic resist needs to be toned down anyway to prevent him trivializing magic heavy dungeons. On the other hand, I feel like Monks have been toned down far enough that being good with Taurog is one of the few things they have left.
gjaustin

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons