Crazy idea - leveling items

All things Desktop Dungeons

Crazy idea - leveling items

Postby gjaustin on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:30 pm

One of my only complaints with the new version is that you aren't rewarded for beating dungeons with different classes. I was trying to come up with a way to implement a type of bonus like the alpha had without completely breaking the game. And then I had an idea so crazy it might just work...

Make the power of the Vicious reward items (Dragon Shield, Avatar Sigil, etc.) correspond with the number of classes you've beaten the dungeon with. For example, the Dragon Shield might be 20% resists, with a bonus 1% for each class you've beaten the boss with. Namtar's item could affect the health penalty (maybe even eventually turn it into a bonus) and the Avatar Sigil could either have the berserk damage bonus or the threshold affected.

On a slightly related note, if the locker code supports it, a unique glyph dropped by one of the vicious bosses would be pretty cool.
gjaustin

Re: Crazy idea - leveling items

Postby spoomak on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I like the idea. When the player beats the dungeon the first time he gets an already pretty powerful item. Beating the dungeon with more classes would make the item slightly more powerful still. Most people (such as me) would probably be happy with the least or second least or third least powerful version of each item.

I'd like to expand this idea to the "adventurer allowance" preparation. Beating some specific dungeon (preferably non-vicious) with different classes would increase the amount of money that the preparation gives. :)
spoomak

Postby glownmelby on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:30 pm

is it even possible to beat the vicious dungeons with every class?
glownmelby

Postby bla0815 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:55 pm

I have mixed feelings about the general direction of this suggestion. Sure dungeon completions should be somehow recognized and why not go with a rather unsubstantial buff to some items? Then again i feel that this would be a rather too direct approach. For me it dulls down the triumphant glory of the first successfull run, since you basically give the message "Here you have an awesome item, but not really". I'd prefer something of more ideational value that doesn't give a player as much of a feeling of missing out until he gets that dungeon completed. Imho that hurts the motivation to play in the long run.

Maybe i'm just tired of how much the "progress bar" (and that essentially would be one) motivation mechanic is grouted in games nowadays.
(Well, i probably just stated the usual concerns about "the grind" and stuff and given your usage of words in the title i assume you are aware of the contra arguments, but i thought they should be written down anyways.)

@glownmelby: Yes it is ;)
bla0815

Return to Desktop Dungeons