[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Beta Update: an open letter to the Kingdom

Beta Update: an open letter to the Kingdom

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Beta Update: an open letter to the Kingdom

Postby subanark on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:00 am

subanark

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:39 am

Bleaty is the nasty one here. I actually made it quite far as a rogue without CYDSTEPP, but Bleaty did me in. I'd used absolution to give me enough HP to tank every other boss, but Bleaty... had to hope for a dodge which I didn't get.

Also smuggler's den prep doesn't work on this level.
Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:31 am

I tried Human Transmuter with Tri-sword. The walls totally don't last long enough to beat 10 bosses, sad to say (mostly Bleaty)

Rogue with Cyddstepp and Soul Orb is probably the way to go I think? I really hate Mana Burn as an enemy ability.

Anyway, someone tell me what item you get when you beat the dungeon because I already ran out of locker space.
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:47 pm

I ran out of locker space long ago.

Anyways, agnostic collar is huge in the arena, since you can desecrate up to five alters. Also, any alters you desecrate on the surface level are restored in the arena, so you can potentially get seven desecrations throughout the game. That's a lot of extra piety, that can be used to do some conversion antics that are totally impossible on any other level. I totally agree that CYDSTEPP with the soul orb is the way to go.

This is going to take a lot of luck to get this off the ground, but I think this is your best approach:
1) select an Orc Rogue; Trisword, Patches Piety, Attack Bonus, Adventurer's Allowance Strength Potion... basically decked out preparations.
2) Find CYDSTEPP and Glowing Guardian immediately! (this takes most luck)
3) Worship Glowing Guardian at level 1, get humility immediately upon reaching level 2.
4) Find and purchase the agnostic collar
5) Build up piety and get the enlightenment boon (DO NOT use sanctify; rely on Patches poison/mana burn effects to boost your piety)
6) Desecrate an alter and use sanctify to get 50 piety
7) Convert to Tikki Tooki, desecrate glowing guardian (you have agnostic collar, remember)
8) Purchase Tikki's Edge and Dodging Boons
9) Clear the level up as best as you can without incurring any weakening
10) Purchase the Soul Orb and convert Patches before entering the arena.

11) Convert to Dracul (should have enough excess piety from TT, but desecrate alters if you don't)
12) Convert all health potions to piety
13) Blood Tithe / Blood Power; desecrate every alter except Mystera for more piety
14) Convert to Mystera, desecrate Dracul, then go fight the bosses using CYDSTEPP antics
15) Leave the last of the three initial bosses with a fraction of his health remaining; go back to Mystera and blow your remaining piety on "magic". Kill the boss. The next round of bosses won't have the extra resists.
16) Hope you have enough resources to make it through the remaining rounds of bosses...

Anyways, I actually got the GG -> TT combo off the ground in my run as an Orc Warlord, but I just didn't have the attack power to make it work, and most of the bosses were 1-hitting my level 9 (effectively level 10) ass anyways, so I may as well have just been a rogue. I've complained about this before; if boss damage is above 120, you may as well just be an orc rogue using CYDSTEPP whose traded off all his HP to Dracul for mana, since HP doesn't matter. Very few characters can get their HP above 120 reliably, and fewer still can do so while maintaining competitive damage output.

Actually... quick math here... due to the piety antics possible in the arena it's feasible to have enlightenment and blood shield. Along with the dragon shield as a preparation, that takes us pretty close to max with both resists... it might actually be possible to do this with a game of attrition. Instead of using TT to clean up the top level for piety, you'd instead use absolution for more HP. With a dwarf, you might be able to hit upwards of 180 HP, and with a 60% resist that lets you tank 450 damage... still gunna be iffy and definitely going to need blood swell in the arena. Gunna have to crunch the math and see if I get more value out of the dwarf HP or the orc base damage.
Last edited by Darvin on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Postby MuF on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:25 pm

I've managed to down 8/9 of the boss gauntlet, but I just didn't have anything left for the last one. Used a Warlord I think? Or a Rogue. But it was just basic trisword CYDSTEPPing stuff. It works great until you hit Ultra Meat Man, More Tormented One and the Uber Tower of Goo. Those are really game killing.
You can beat one by using most of your mana potions and fireballing, but that's it.
It wouldn't be half as bad if they weren't all Grimm's Grotto level. Oh well.

I've also tried it as a Monk with Dragon shield, and got Trisword from a shop early on. That was really cool! But as you bet it just didn't come anywhere near being good. It miserably failed on the first three bosses. Passed my rage on Aequitas as he was the only one I could hope to beat with the Monk's really lousy damage output.

Now I'm wondering if the screenshot on the news update was done during a legit run, or simply made up. It shows a Human Warlord... with no visible worship. And he's fighting the Sun-blessed sissy, which means if it's legit he's beaten the crap out of the 9 other bosses with no support from gods. Is that really possible?

And agreed on the collar, it's a massive Piety boost. But in the end you reach a point where extra piety isn't that useful. Not for the kind of stuff I try to pull out anyway :lol:
MuF

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Darvin

Postby Signal on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Signal

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:10 pm

GOT IT!

Orc Thief with Dragon Shield.

Used gloves of midas to build up gold, buying an extra set of healing and mana potions and a few good conversion fodder items. Worshipped Dracul and got my blood shield up early for some nice power-leveling. Got some bonuses from Patches, picked up the Agnostic collar, then converted to Mystera and desecrated Taurog and Dracul to max out my mana before descending to fight the bosses.

I used up all my potions before converting over to the glowing guardian and fighting with protection. I picked up humility to bump my level 10 self down to level 9 for an extra level-up. Once protection got too expensive, I converted over to Dracul to blood swell my way to victory. Had to blood tithe a few times to clear through the boss's death protection, but I made it.

Some might say desecrating a total of seven alters with the agnostic collar is a bit abusive, but I'm pretty ecstatic about killing 10 bosses in a row regardless.

FYI, the only reward for beating this level is a full inventory full of trophies, which convert for a a lot of gold,.
Last edited by Darvin on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Is there a page where I can put sugestions?

Sorry I'm new on the forums.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:26 pm

This thread is about the most recent update, which added three new dungeons. If you're new, you probably don't have access to the dungeons we're talking about quite yet. This latest dungeon requires you to fight through ten bosses in a row, which is quite possibly the most challenging scenario to date.

If you cannot find a thread that is specific to what you want to talk about, I'd suggest clicking on the "new topic" button to create one yourself.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons