Suggestions for new Races

All things Desktop Dungeons

Suggestions for new Races

Postby The Avatar on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:44 pm

Hey Everybody! If you have any ideas for new races put them here.

Here's a few:
Golem 10% magic res for every 200 conversion unlocked by feeding it a spell glyph found in doubledoom

Goo Blob/ Goo Man 10% physical res for every 200 Unlocked by feeding it a physical item Found in Grimms Groto

Efreet fireball potion (+1 fireball damage for next 3 fireballs) 100 conversion points unlocked by beating lev 10 efreet boss "Cheiftan Spellbane" found in the place with the avatar (The name escapes me)

Naga Poison vile (weaken enemy 1 damage per level when hit) 150 conversion points unlocked by helping naga avenge his father (Beat the boss and give trophy to him) found in first naga area (name escapes again. has ruins and revanants boss setho)

Dragonborn extra 1 hp per half level and 5% attack boost per 90 conversion points

Vampire 5 lifesteal per 100 conversion points

Please post all comments or other suggestions here!
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Re: Suggestions for new Races

Postby FDru on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:54 pm

I want kobolds.

Don't care what the bonus is, just give me kobolds.

FDru

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Golem 10% magic res for every 200 conversion unlocked by feeding it a spell glyph found in doubledoom
Goo Blob/ Goo Man 10% physical res for every 200 Unlocked by feeding it a physical item Found in Grimms Groto

I'm hesitant about races that grant +resist. We've already got a bunch of +resist items, boons, and classes. With the 65% stacking limit that can already be reached by classes that start with 0 resist, that could be a problem.

Efreet fireball potion (+1 fireball damage for next 3 fireballs) 100 conversion points unlocked by beating lev 10 efreet boss "Cheiftan Spellbane" found in the place with the avatar (The name escapes me)

Demonic Library is what you're thinking of. That fireball potion you've described is ludicrously weak, and I presume you mean +1 fireball damage per level for next 3 fireballs. Even with this consideration, this is just a weaker version of a mana potion, which can be used to cast any spell you want. A gnome can scoff down a mana potion, and if he's raised his mana to 15 (easy if Dracul is on the field) that will give him enough mana to cast fireball again. The extra fireball a gnome would receive by drinking a mana potion would exceed the bonus damage from the fireball potion, and that mana potion could also be used to fuel other spells instead if fireball wasn't the preferable option.

Naga Poison vile (weaken enemy 1 damage per level when hit) 150 conversion points unlocked by helping naga avenge his father (Beat the boss and give trophy to him) found in first naga area (name escapes again. has ruins and revanants boss setho)

Weaken could work as a racial effect, though it'd be pretty worthless against any hard-hitting boss (which is the majority of them on hard and vicious)

Dragonborn extra 1 hp per half level and 5% attack boost per 90 conversion points

Er, what? Nah, just bring back the half-dragon from the alpha.

Vampire 5 lifesteal per 100 conversion points

Looking forward to see how they rework this monster class. Converting for lifesteal sounds delicious and novel, since in the current build there's basically no way to stack an appreciable amount of lifesteal (Dracul is no longer farmable for piety, so it just doesn't work).
Darvin

Postby FDru on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:51 pm

Darvin wrote:

I'm hesitant about races that grant +resist. We've already got a bunch of +resist items, boons, and classes. With the 65% stacking limit that can already be reached by classes that start with 0 resist, that could be a problem.

I don't know. If you think about it, resists aren't even as good as bonus HP considering you don't get the added benefit of bigger hits from health potions. A dwarf can easily get 70-80% bonus health by the end of a dungeon and then grab a resist item or two for ludicrous survivability (actually, can't they get more like 80-100% bonus HP now?) Also, as you noted there's already some pretty nice options for resists available.

I would think the only benefit of a race with innate resists is being able to bring a different locker item along. And with a horrid conversion rate like OP suggested I'm not sure how useful even that would be.
FDru

Postby Darvin on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:35 am

If you think about it, resists aren't even as good as bonus HP considering you don't get the added benefit of bigger hits from health potions

Technically you do. Each point of resistance makes each point of HP more valuable, so even though potions restore the same amount of HP the benefit is greater.

Someone with 100 HP and 0% resist heals 40 damage with a healing potion. Against a monster that deals 40 damage, this allows him to tank one extra hit. Someone with 50 HP and 50% resist heals 20 damage with a healing potion. Against a monster that deals 40 damage (reduced to 20), this allows him to tank one extra hit. Exactly how HP compares against resists depends on several factors, including what other bonuses you're stacking. You're always best with a good combination of the two.
Darvin

Postby FDru on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:42 am

Sorry, yeah, you're right.

Anyway, the main point was that resists are easier to get from other sources (where bonus HP is not only limited but comes with bad tradeoffs, like in the case of bloody sigil).
FDru

Postby Darvin on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:45 am

True; dwarf is the only good way we have currently to get lots of extra HP, whereas there are quite a few good resist boosting items and boons. If the devs got around to buffing the Troll Heart so it was on the same level as the Trisword, that would be another matter entirely, but as it stands the best HP-related item is the Pendent of Health, which is weighted towards low-level characters and is barely worth the inventory space for a level 10.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:47 am

I was originally going to make efreet 500 for +1 fire ball but thought it might be overpowered because with flames boon and battlemage ring you could get 8 fireball dmg per level

Also, I came up with another class

Demon: 1 shop or 10 gold (not sure) per 100 get by upgrading Bezar's Bazaar (which was mentioned in earlier updates)
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:58 am

To be honest, races in this game is one area where it's very hard to actually make something that doesn't seem non-gimmicky and super niche since we generally already covered just about all the basic areas.

I mean, heck, do Goblins get much use at all?

It doesn't feel like an area that can be expanded on much. Maybe if there were racial building preparations they could be more differentiated but eh.
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:36 am

I mean, heck, do Goblins get much use at all?

Goblin Assassin! Wooo! (wasn't bad in the alpha, but won't carry you far in the beta)

The best way to fix goblins would be to give a use for XP past level 10. A simple solution may be to grant a full health/mana restore every 50 XP. This wouldn't be as good as a full level-up, but would give the goblin something to convert for at this point. Then lower the conversion ratio a smidge and we could have something very dangerous indeed.

Demon: 1 shop or 10 gold (not sure) per 100 get by upgrading Bezar's Bazaar (which was mentioned in earlier update)

Extra shops would only be useful if you had Gloves of Midas or if you were playing the Tinker (which we don't yet have access to and may have been fundamentally overhauled anyways); the current number of ships generally give you a good selection and more is only needed if you're looking for one specific item to complete a combo.

More gold could work. The goblin worked like that in the alpha prior to the last update. Given you could walk into dungeons with 160 gold, the ability to convert for 10 gold was meaningless. Now that you can only walk in with 25, it would make a lot of sense to reintroduce.
Last edited by Darvin on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons