Soundtrack questions

All things Desktop Dungeons

Soundtrack questions

Postby zeemeerman2 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:20 pm

In this thread, I got two questions. One to QCFDesign, and one to the community, including QCFDesign.

Let's start with QCFDesign. I'm listening to some tracks at the moment of the game Trine, while playing DD.
I'm sure Desktop Dungeons will get an awesome soundtrack, once it's created. But in overall, how will the soundtrack's style be?
By that, I mean, for instance, Minecraft's soundtrack is all about simple, calm notes. A typical soundtrack sounds like this. Repeating piano, a long track of violin, a few instruments more, nothing major. And it doesn't need to be.

Though, in my opinion, it's not a soundtrack that could be used in Desktop Dungeons.

Trine's soundtrack is about mystery, beauty and immersion. Glockenspiel, flute, and violin play a big part to create the setting.

Super Meat Boy's soundtrack lends itself to be a very arcade-like game. With this upbeat music, all is about gameplay. It's happy enough to encourage that one player that died another time in that level to give it another go. It's not about immersion, it's about plain fun.

Again, in what style is the Desktop Dungeons soundtrack being made?

Secondly, to the community:
What soundtracks now available could fit into the levels of Desktop Dungeons? Which soundtracks do you or could you listen to when playing a Desktop Dungeons level? Something ambient, gloomy? Maybe something more upbeat?

Entering a normal dungeon with a Human Fighter, standing there with [urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWgswdsoSwo&feature=related]this song from Amnesia[/url], looking at all the creepy devil-esque monsters in the dark... I didn't even dare to explore the dungeon even further...
zeemeerman2

Re: Soundtrack questions

Postby Spoonman on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:35 am

For the record: Danny Baranowski (think I spelled that right) also known as "DannyBStyle" announced earlier today on twitter that he is doing the DD soundtrack... he has done: Cananbalt, Super Meat Boy, regular Meat Boy, and Binding of Isaac, among many others....
Spoonman

Re: Soundtrack questions

Postby Nandrew on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:44 pm

We're looking pretty forward to working with him. :) Still not quite sure what we're settling on, but we have an interesting idea that we may be applying to the mood tracks as a whole.

Discussing things furiously atm. :P
Nandrew

Return to Desktop Dungeons