[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Stand alone exe version?

Stand alone exe version?

Talk to QCF .. we love to hear from you

Re: Stand alone exe version?

Postby dislekcia on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:29 am

dislekcia

Postby hempsader on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:06 pm

hempsader

Postby harfatum on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:19 pm

My wife and I beat most of the quests and a couple vicious dungeons as of early this year, but are holding off on playing much now so we'll have plenty of new stuff to do on release. Waiting is hard :P
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby Kuranes on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:40 am

I'd really love being able to download a standalone version (preferably just an .exe installer). Have you made any considerations to GOG and Desura? Although they both, too, require signing up.
"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby Leonardo_Monetti on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Gog? it just requires an account to be able to download the games, nothing else. You don't have to log on anytime you want to run anything from them, nor they include any drm. That is part of their sales pitch, no drm in games. At least, it was that way last time I checked, maybe they too decided they needed some kind of drm/front end to launch stuff.
Leonardo_Monetti

Postby Riaktion on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Hello again

As the original poster for this thread, I am of course still interested in your progress towards a stand alone game.

The game I pre-ordered a long time ago.

As before, I am not after a refund yet, but I would like to hear some news on how close you are.

Your news page never makes mention of this what-so-ever, perhaps I am in the minority however I am waiting for you guys to say "right it's done" you;re happy with the game and you're now going to release it as something that I can play until the end of time on my PC.

Are you any closer? As before all I am after is information. Updates. Anything to reassure me that my money hasn't gone into something over 12 months ago that will never see the light of day.

Can we expect to get a release date in 2013? Or... are you still unable to provide information solid information?

Thanks again
Riaktion

Postby dislekcia on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:23 am

We're moving closer all the time - Right now we're pushing really hard to get the Kingdom updated to not use the horrible temporary buttons that have plagued it for over a year before we can properly think of putting a standalone version out there. Yes, of course we want to release in 2013 - as early as we possibly can.

The standalone will be arriving via Steam, with whom the paperwork has been really, really simple so far :)

I apologise if it feels like we might pull a Cortex Command and drop the game, but that is something that we'll never do. We have a concrete goal for how finished we need the game to be and we're working towards that every day.
dislekcia

Postby Riaktion on Fri May 17, 2013 10:56 pm

Hello again

The OP here again. I still visit the site and check for news on release of the stand alone game, and pleased to see constant updates and progress indicating it is still being made.

That said, my original post was back in July 2012... and the last post to this thread 6 months ago.

My receipt, paying for my pre order was on the 14th Jul... 2011.

This means I have had this game on Pre order for nearly two years now, and I haven't played the beta once as I am waiting for the definitive finished product to be released.

I'm not annoyed... but I must admit I never expected to be nearly two years down the line and still not have the game I paid for. I realise you never said it would be out by date X when I pre-ordered, and I'm not holding you to anything like that... but I suppose we are really getting to the maximum stretch of my wildest expectations of when we'd see the game available for me to play in it's completed state.

Of course, you'll release it when you're ready, and I am not looking for a refund, but you should know that from a communication point of view on this aspect of your game, i.e. the final release date, your communication hasn't been great and you have offered no reassurances yourselves without being prompted by this thread or others like it.

No emails to us giving updates, no press releases, no indication of anything and the more dramatic side of me is starting the think that this whole thing is a potential waste of time as I am feeling so disengaged by the experience, and as my initial excitement over the game has long since faded away... I now wonder if I will even play it ...when it's actually here.

sigh ... I'm not angry, just confused and feel like I've been burnt by pre-ordering an indie game, to support a brilliant idea with excellent execution however I guess I didn't know exactly what it was I was investing in, however I don't feel like that is my fault, as much as I have learned from this.

I doubt I will pre-order one of your games again, should you make one, and I feel like you should know this as simple feedback from one of your customers.

Thanks, looking forward to the game's eventual release.
Riaktion

Postby dislekcia on Sat May 18, 2013 12:18 am

Oof. Ok, that hit me pretty hard... I guess I'm too tired to really be reading the forums and deal with the mental fallout right now, but I wanted to at least respond to this now because you raise a very good point.

Our communication has been lax. We should really be sending out updates to everyone that pre-ordered the game, I'm wondering if a monthly or bi-monthly newsletter might be a good idea, especially as we get closer and closer to the game hitting that magical "done" point... (You have no idea how much we want that to happen on this side)

The major issue with newsletters is that we don't ask people if they want to receive one when they sign up for pre-orders. Certain countries see that as spam if we then send out mass emails and we've had issues with being blocked (most notably the half of Germany that uses web.de has a really hard time getting emails from us) just for sending out the receipt and password reset emails that we do right now.

Thanks for pointing out a big weakness in what we've been doing. Hopefully we can fix it.
dislekcia

Postby Riaktion on Sat May 18, 2013 6:25 am

Howdy

Thanks for your reply, I feel kinda bad for making you feel bad.. that wasn't my intention... heh... but I did want to get across how I feel.. which I thought you'd appreciate on some level, and of course you have taken it on board.

I think it's worth stressing that despite my disappointment around my pre order, and leaving the communication around the release date aside for a moment.. everything else has been great.

As I said at the start of my last post, you have been keeping the site bang up to date and I've never felt the game was slipping into vapourware. You have popped up on Rock Paper Shotgun.. once... when you did the free beta for GDC, and that alone was generous and I hope it raised you some more pre order cash to make the game even better... and in general I have been aware of everything ticking along, which is great!

There are plenty of AAA titles were you hear nothing at all, especially post release so, I hope you know that this customer is still appreciative of all your efforts and I know you and the team are working hard... that isn't question.

Also, although you may not have communicated certain aspects of the development to my satisfaction, you have ALWAYS responded promptly on the forums, on this thread and others and it is a great feeling to know that you are contactable directly, again this is a rarity, even on some indie titles. So thank you for that.

As I say, you don't have an angry man, or a disgruntled customer here... just one that probably would have liked to have pre ordered closer to the end of the development cycle, as for me, my excitement over getting my hands on the final product has slowly turned in a feeling of indifference... which I think is sad.. and honestly, that could have been avoided if I were kept informed on where we are up to and how close we are.. hence my last post.

You've taken on board what I've said. so thank you again for that, don't take it too hard... I feel like I am in the minority and everyone else seems happy with how things are going.

I'll be high fiving you and the guys when DD is finally where it belongs. On my desktop. It will be a good day :D

Thanks again for all your efforts! Keep going, it's teams like yours that keep PC gaming fresh and interesting and also the best gaming platform there is.

Cheers.
Riaktion

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion