Tabletop Dungeons!

Talk to QCF .. we love to hear from you

Tabletop Dungeons!

Postby PeaceChaser on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:27 am

I spent the last two days throwing a board game design together and it's almost playable. This is by far the fastest and most fluid of any of my hair-brained attempts ever. I also dare-say it's the least likely to be overly complex, un-fun, too competitive or un-interactive, unbalanced, too slow to play, or completely unfeasible to make.

Today I had an epiphany. The game would be highly thematically compatible with desktop dungeons. While almost everything they have in common is currently generic (classes, guilds, rogue-like elements, dungeons, monsters, character levels, random generation but little to no luck) there are still many, many common elements.

So I'm making a print and play version, except I suck at art and humor, but I want it to look nice and be funny. For the purpose of presenting it here and to my group of friends, can I use QFC's alpha and/or beta assets and theme? Names and types of monsters, classes, abilities etc. would all be easy to convert over from what I already have.

Either way, I'd be happy to share and be ecstatic for feedback from players and developers if there is any interest.
PeaceChaser

Re: Tabletop Dungeons!

Postby dislekcia on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:11 am

Hey, use the alpha assets as much as you like! They're even easily accessible in the tilesets, so that shouldn't be difficult. Beta art, much less usable and much more territorial for us...

As far as presenting the game as a Desktop Dungeons variant for tabletop, that depends on the game and what you're planning to do with it. If it's just a thing for you and your friends, goooo for it. If you're planning to release it to the rest of the world, then it depends on what you're keen to do with it? If you're trying to sell it and you'd like the Desktop Dungeons skinning/theme to help with that, then that's a completely different kettle of fish-shaped legal obstacles. If you just want to do a print-and-play for the forums, then I don't want to get in the way of that.

For the moment, I'd suggesting using the alpha assets and sticking to a generic theme - it's not like we own the idea of elves or anything, the only real thing we care about is the Desktop Dungeons name - and seeing if the game is fun to play. Have you playtested it yet?
dislekcia

Return to General Discussion