Crashes all day long

Got a problem? Let us know!

Crashes all day long

Postby FDru on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Haven't played this in a couple of months. Mainly due to frequent crashes being kind of frustrating.

Since then, I've:
Got a new motherboard
Doubled my RAM (4gb)
Completely reinstalled Windows XP
New graphics card

Unity Web Player is up to date. Firefox is up to date. Game runs horribly sluggish and Unity Web Player crashes every few minutes. Kills my browser completely. Sometimes on the login screen, sometimes while loading the first dungeon run, sometimes the second. Pretty much exactly the same as it was when I quit playing it months ago.

I can't even comprehend how this is possible. At least you fixed the full screen cursor issues :?
FDru

Re: Crashes all day long

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Hokay... This sounds like an issue that we're going to have a nightmare reproducing. I'll check with Unity to see if these are known symptoms and get back to you.
dislekcia

Postby FDru on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:22 am

If you have any suggestions on things I could try to stop the crashes, I'm eager to hear them.

I did try Google Chrome but it didn't help.
FDru

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:41 am

Ok, I can't remember if I've asked you this previously, but how do other Unity web-games run? If they're all slow too, then there's definitely some sort of conflict on the plugin side - I can't think of anything that we're doing in DD that's programatically special enough to nuke your PC's speed like that.

I'm getting some pingbacks that people with poor Unity plugin performance have had better results using Chrome Canary, although that seems to be a Mac thing - I'm pretty sure that Canary's been part of the major Chrome build for a while now... Are you running anything that might mess with browser sandboxing? Some antivirus or firewall products literally neuter plugins in terms of access to memory.
dislekcia

Postby FDru on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:08 pm

I might have not been clear but DDs performance isn't generally bad, it only gets bad shortly before it crashes (which usually doesn't take long to happen).

I don't recall having trouble with other Unity games before but I just tried the Avert Fate demo and it was basically unplayable. Started off okay, but after about two minutes it was impossible to mouselook anywhere without the camera jerking a full 90-180 degrees in whatever direction it was turning. Not to mention very poor framerate on the default graphic setting. I shut it off before it could get worse.

So it probably is a Unity issue. Maybe. But it probably isn't a browser plugin issue (I use AdBlockPlus and NoScript, but the only things blocked on the DD launcher page are wordpress and twitter).

I have no firewalls or AVs running. Also, my active services are kept to a minimum:

FDru

Postby FDru on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:45 am

Update: been playing around with a handful of Unity games on Kongregate and haven't had any major issues. One hang, but that seemed to be a fluke since otherwise they run fine.
FDru

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:00 am

I've been seeing some reports of the player getting bogged down in old data somehow, which degrades performance and eventually nukes the plugin. Although so far nobody seems to know exactly what causes it and what sort of things to avoid in code... DD's memory footprint doesn't climb drastically, so I'm not sure what could be causing it :(
dislekcia

Postby FDru on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:34 pm

If I understand what you're saying, it shouldn't apply here since I started a new profile. I even deleted my old profiles before starting it.
FDru

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:27 pm

I meant runtime data. The sorts of things that a garbage collector usually manages to deal with as managed code is executing. It's a very odd problem to have... I wish I could find a setup that it would do the same thing on here, where I can poke at it with a stick.
dislekcia

Postby FDru on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Been playing the latest version with no issues.
FDru

Next

Return to Support