[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Game hangs during dungeon run

Game hangs during dungeon run

Got a problem? Let us know!

Game hangs during dungeon run

Postby Tinker on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:44 pm

I just switched computers and DD keeps hanging up on the new one. It seems fairly arbitrary - for example, I just successfully completed two runs without any issue, and just as I was about to complete my third game, it hung up.

The window says "Not Responding", the music keeps playing, but I cannot interact with anything in the game, in fact Win7 greys out the window to show me it's really non-responsive.

Any ideas on what can be the fix? I never had any such issue on my previous computer, however it is no longer operable, so I don't have an option to go back to it.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Re: Game hangs during dungeon run

Postby dislekcia on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Have you checked your graphics drivers to make sure they're up to date? We've had problems with reference drivers in the past...
dislekcia

Postby Tinker on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I've just updated my new netbook's APU driver. The problem unfortunately persists.

Out of curiousity, I also tried the browser version, and I'm not sure whether I played a representative number of games, but I did not yet get this type of error. That said, I strongly prefer using the game application that I can launch via STEAM over the version I can plan in the browser, as the browser version seems to lag a bit, plus it's less convenient overall to play in my browser than to launch an application. (not to mention the cool STEAM cards and all)

I did try another thing, that I've seen in another thread, which was to erase my save files and allow syncing to repopulate them, however I did not see any effect. So I don't think it's savefile corruption.

Do you maybe have any other suggestions what can I try? I'm unfortunately not very tech-savvy...
Tinker

Postby dislekcia on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:35 pm

It wouldn't be save file corruption if the game is hanging during play, that seems like a memory or video issue that means the game can't continue running... If it were a gameplay crash, you'd get that wonderful "Oh no, shit's broken!" message and we could do something about it.

The browser version being more stable means that it's probably a memory issue. I wish I knew a way to test that out easily... I'd like to try sending you a more recent build, seeing as we made the game a lot sleeker and less memory hungry to optimise it for tablets, but it's not 100% stable yet. Tell you what, PM me your email address anyway, maybe I can make something happen by the end of the week.

Also, I totally understand rather playing the game through Steam - I do too!

Final question: Are you playing fullscreen or windowed mode when it hangs?
dislekcia

Postby Tinker on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:41 am

When I got the computer, as the warranty was just expiring, I did run some tests that I've just read about in a computer magazine I picked up, including memtest, and it tested the memory modules and said they were fine... So I think (hope) that the modules are physically ok.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the offer, I'm PMing you my private e-mail address! I really appreciate your help!

I'm playing windowed.

Now that I think back, I don't know if it's making any difference, I think that whenever my game hung, I was always moving the tile selector on the map (so that the small footsteps indicating the hero's path are re-calculated constantly, showing the path, and then on one tile the selection just stops, even though I move my mouse, it no longer responds in game, keeping the little yellow frame around one of the tiles). I didn't notice crashes when I was fighting for example. Of course, this may easily be just driven by statistics, because I spend most time moving/targeting, and only a little bit pressing the spell / attack buttons...
Tinker

Postby Tinker on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:03 am

Tinker

Postby dislekcia on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:06 am

I got it. I don't have a stable build to send yet.
dislekcia

Postby Tinker on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Sure, I don't want to rush creativity, I'll gladly try the new version once it's shareable.

In the meantime, I do wonder if there's anything else I may try. My computer can actually run lots of stuff without issues, so I'm not sure whether a leaner, more optimized executable should even be THE solution... I don't seem to have freezes with the browser version; when ran via steam, DD application doesn't take more than a few percent of CPU or 200-300 MB of Memory (out of 4 GB)... So I assume that it's more of a clash, like an address conflict, or permissions issue, or whatnot, rather than an overall resource question. Tips/pointers still welcome! ;)
Tinker

Postby dislekcia on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:42 am

It'll be a render-texture issue, so fullscreen and-or terrain changes are the cause of the problems you're seeing, because that's where the game interacts with render-textures. I'm not sure why or how your specific setup is having that problem with how we're doing that in Unity, but that part of the game has changed a ton while we've been updating and optimising stuff - that would be why I was trying to get you a newer build to test.
dislekcia

Postby Tinker on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Tinker

Next

Return to Support