Unity and windowed resolutions

Got a problem? Let us know!

Unity and windowed resolutions

Postby Red_Soul on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:20 am

Hello everyone at QCF design and this forum.

I've recently registered but I've been a long time lurker, and a big fan of DD, obviously (I'm not up to par with some of the masters here, but I try (currently I have a very poor kingdom thanks to repeated flops in unlocking the vampire class).
I digress however, so I'll explain the issue I'm having with the game.

I have a PC, and the DD version I have is 1.57, bought through GOG, just as introductory information.

Thing is, I hate playing in full screen mode, so I use windowed whenever possible with all games I play, but the size options for DD are not quite adequate to my needs (x1 is too small, and x1.5 and x2 both stretch too high vertically to fit comfortably to my monitor's native resolution of 1600x900)

After scratching my head for the longest time with this, I came across some command line options for Unity, and they were exceedingly helpful in that they did exactly what I needed, both preserving my screen real estate and averting eye popping squinting on my part to see what was going on in the game.

However, I think that the latest update of the game may have removed the ability to use such commands, as the window forces a resize to one of the presets before the game loads.

I'd really like to have that functionality restored, or that DD could launch a resolution selector at runtime, as I've seen other Unity games do.

For the record, here is the full command line that I use in the game shortcut:

-screen-width 1366 -screen-height 768

It worked fine before, so something has changed, I'd wager.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks QCF for this wonderful game.
Red_Soul

Re: Unity and windowed resolutions

Postby dislekcia on Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:44 am

Those seem to be command line arguments that Unity automatically included, DD doesn't do anything specific to check for resolution info like that. In fact, those shouldn't have worked in the past either, seeing as the game always resized its window. So I'm not sure why they would have stopped working now...

Also, the Unity resolution selector is utterly horrible, so we never included it before. Resolutions seem to be a continuous bugbear with this game. Next time we're not doing pixel perfect art!
dislekcia

Postby Red_Soul on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:26 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love the art of the game, it's just the whole squintfest is rather tiresome to my eyes ^.^' anyway, I ended up inadvently solving the problem partially, at least, even if the aspect ratio does get shot in the process, this solution does afford more screen area in a way that fits my resolution.

Note: To whomever is interested in this solution, please note it involves registry tweaks, so be careful what you edit!

On the left pane of the registry editor, look for the following hierarchy:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > QCF Design > Desktop Dungeons

On the right pane look for the following DWORDs:

Screen Manager Resolution Height and Screen Manager Resolution Width
then right one key at a time and left click on modify.

Lastly choose the decimal base option in the window that pops up, input your values and close the registry editor. Next time the game is run the resolution will be as you set it.
Red_Soul

Postby Red_Soul on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:18 pm

As it turns out, this little silly tweak of mine only really extends the screen area but doesn't upscale the image, so it ends up being x1 either way.
I had to come up with a different solution so x1.5 would fit my screen res correctly, and that was setting the taskbar vertically while I play. Not optimal but sufficient.

I could be wrong but isn't x1.5 of 800x600 = 1600x900? maybe it is due to my monitor frame, but the image still cuts off slightly, even with the taskbar out of the way.
Red_Soul

Return to Support