[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Android: no multitasking / can't resume from sleep

Android: no multitasking / can't resume from sleep

Got a problem? Let us know!

Android: no multitasking / can't resume from sleep

Postby rv06 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:39 am

Hello,

I just bought DD from HumbleBundle, and it works rather well.
Except for one thing: if my phone enters sleep mode, I can't restart from where I was. I have to re-launch the game.
It means when I'm in the middle of a dungeon, it loses my game.

My phone is OnePlus 2 64GB, with 4GB RAM. It should have enough free RAM to keep the game in I suppose?
For the moment, it's the only app that gives me that problem.
rv06

Re: Android: no multitasking / can't resume from sleep

Postby dislekcia on Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Sorry, but resume from sleep depends on the OS at the moment - sometimes Android will page things out of active memory and we have little control over that from our end. Short of writing an extremely scummable system to save regularly during a run, there's not much we can recommend besides trying to lower the load on your system by removing resident apps and turning off non-essential notifications.

Also note that phones below 7" screen sizes aren't officially supported by QCF Design, so interactions on phones are un-tested from our end.
dislekcia

Postby rv06 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:31 pm

OK, I understand the idea of "Android frees RAM when it needs some".

However as I said, my phone's RAM is rather big, and it manages to keep lots of apps in RAM.
But not DD. Even after a fresh reboot of the phone.
Right now, it says it has 2.2GB free, and no way to keep DD in RAM.

That's why I find it surprising, and would like to know if other people have the same issue, and did they manage to solve it / how.
rv06

Postby dislekcia on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:45 am

The amount of free RAM isn't really indicative of when or how Android switches apps out of memory - there's an upper app limit that has more to do with Android's sandboxing. That's to say that it's highly doubtful that DD is using over 2 gigs of memory, but rather that your phone is already using nearly half its total RAM fresh from a reboot! The OS is probably going to be quite protective of more RAM assignments in the space it has left when apps start running... You might want to look at ways to make that limit larger (I suspect it's smaller for phones than tablets, for instance) but your best place to look for that is Android specific forums and websites.

As I said before, I know that the best way to make DD survive multitasking is to lower the number of notifications and apps running in the background on mobile devices.
dislekcia

Postby rv06 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:06 am

OK, I will go to Android-specific forums to try and find a solution.
Yet I find it surprising that DD uses more memory than any other app I use on my phone, like RealRacing3 or LaraCroftGO.
rv06

Postby dislekcia on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:34 am

dislekcia

Postby msys on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 pm

I've heard that when the app gives some permanent notification then it won't get killed. This is what ES File Manager is doing to ensure that copying/moving operations will always complete. I'm using it a lot on various devices (only on Kitkat and Lollipop though) and while the main app often gets killed randomly, the copying/moving subprocess always finishes and stays opened with a notification - sometimes even for a few days if I forget about dismissing its window.

Also, I only vaguely remember that there is some property of the app (or permission?) that will make the app unkillable by the system. Maybe it is only for rooted systems (via an XPosed module maybe?) but still worth a try...

You guys - as programmers - should check these out, maybe something along these lines would be the solution?

EDIT: found an Xposed module but haven't tried it yet, the reference is there: http://androidforums.com/threads/app-killer-whitelist-app.727684/
msys

Postby avangel on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:11 pm

It would be really great if you could find a solution to this issue, because it's getting frustrating. Especially for phone users who usually play while in transport, so if you board from one vehicle to another you might lose a great dungeon fight.
I'm playing on a LG G4 which has 3 GB of ram. I didn't have this issue with other games. What about saving the dungeon when press pause?
It's a really great game and I would like to play it a lot :)
avangel

Postby dislekcia on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:28 am

dislekcia

Return to Support