Can't seem to find any tilesets

Got a problem? Let us know!

Can't seem to find any tilesets

Postby jmahan on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi all.

Fun game -- great for compile breaks! :-) Really looking forward to the Beta!

At home on Win7, no problems. At work, on Win XP, it looks like the game cannot find any tileset, as (for instance) spells show up only as yellow circles, and that only on the right -- they are invisible in the main map. Also, any attempt to change the tileset, either with just a directory name ('pixel') or the full thing ('C:\Program Files\Desktop Dungeons\tilesets\fegon') does not seem to work.

Any suggestions?
jmahan

Re: Can't seem to find any tilesets

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:09 pm

jmahan wrote:Hi all.

Fun game -- great for compile breaks! :-) Really looking forward to the Beta!

At home on Win7, no problems. At work, on Win XP, it looks like the game cannot find any tileset, as (for instance) spells show up only as yellow circles, and that only on the right -- they are invisible in the main map. Also, any attempt to change the tileset, either with just a directory name ('pixel') or the full thing ('C:\Program Files\Desktop Dungeons\tilesets\fegon') does not seem to work.

Any suggestions?

Sound like ye olde "not extracted from zip" problem. Make sure your XP copy is properly extracted and it should work fine.
dislekcia

Postby jmahan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:24 pm

Unfortunately, not that easy. The tileset directories are there and contain all of the same files that my copy at home does...
jmahan

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:22 am

jmahan wrote:Unfortunately, not that easy. The tileset directories are there and contain all of the same files that my copy at home does...

Then for whatever reason the game isn't being run from that directory. Are you doing any compatibility tweaks or using a shortcut to launch the game somehow?

The bottom line is you need to make sure that the exe is in the same root directory as those folders, otherwise it won't be able to load anything. Obviously the most common issue there was with older versions where people would play from within the zip file - the game exe would be extracted to some temporary directory and utterly fail to find the resources it needed because those hadn't been extracted.

Tell me, where is the game placing its save files right now? Does it save progress (easy way to do this is to see if the game asks you to create a new profile every time)? That might help you figure out what's going on.
dislekcia

Postby jmahan on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:26 pm

Yeah, that was it. Apparently, windows made me a shortcut that was in a completely different directory, thus screwing up the working directory. Problem solved -- thanks!
jmahan

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 am

jmahan wrote:Yeah, that was it. Apparently, windows made me a shortcut that was in a completely different directory, thus screwing up the working directory. Problem solved -- thanks!

Aha! First time I've heard of that actually, I just knew it was possible theoretically ;)

Glad it's working properly now.
dislekcia

Return to Support