Kingdom Renovators

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Kingdom Renovators

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:02 am

Agree completely about the thematic shift in Glowing Guardian. There is now also a tension between his boons (specifically, Absolution and Humility), and his new ethos (only fight weak opponents that you can easily kill). There is also tension between his hatred of picking up gold and insistence on you sacrificing items.

It's like if Mystera gave you lots of mana, but punished you for casting spells.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:24 am

This is what I'd have done with GG:

Humility: increase to 20 piety
Absolution: increase to 20 piety
Enlightenment: decrease to 80 piety
Cleansing: decrease to 5+1 piety

Starting Piety: Upon joining his religion, gain 3 piety for each revealed monster who is a lower level than you.
Piety: Converting health and mana potions grants extra piety
Darvin

Postby Drew on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:32 am

I know this is just wishful thinking, but I hope glitter finger actually becomes an obtainable god at some point, also thanks for the improved interface! On a subconscious level, its much easier on my eyes. :)

Also nerf those vicious dungeons! Nerf, Nerf, Nerf......
Drew

Postby Despayre on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:22 am

Since I was pretty critical of it last week, I felt it I should mention that the readability of the ui is much better. Still wish the empty inventory panels didnt have the splatter effect but everything else is much easier to read.
Despayre

Postby Murdus on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:27 am

The new vampire feels even more broken than before. With enough things converted, HE DOESN'T TAKE ANY DAMAGE FROM HORATIO. At all. Nada. Nill. Zilch. Zero.

On a different note, Warlords are once again awesome. Start JJ, convert 2 potions, convert out, grab Mystic Balance. Enjoy your new, broken !ORC! warlord.
Murdus

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:22 am

How come whenever they try to reinvent a god one of the first thing they do is go into opposite day?

I remember when Pactmaker added piety for taking penalties which they reversed, now GG wants you to kill weaklings. Tomorrow Mystera doesn't want you to cast spells, Binlor rewards you for leveling up and Dracul says kill all those undead minions.
TigerKnee

Postby Murdus on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:30 am

Jehora Jeheryu will actually make sense, and have sensible piety penalties/gains, Tikki Tooki will punish you for killing popcorn, give you bonuses for being a hero, Taurog will give you max mana, and punish you for killing things...
Murdus

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:37 am

I don't know what motivated the decision to hide the boon info panels until you have enough piety, but I think it was a poorly considered one. It complicates planning without adding challenge, and basically requires you to have a wiki and a notebook to use stacking boons correctly.

Agreeing that radical changes in well established game mechanics are not the way to go this late in the development cycle. Pactmaker was okay because he was an experimental shot in the dark. GG has been working fine since the beginning, and its a bit too late to try and completely change him. I also get the sense that QCF are overreacting to successful use of GG as being broken. In his previous incarnation, he was still very much a ball-and-chain, just as intended, but clever players could still succeed by making some sacrifices (namely, you have to give up on potion xp catapults, and you have to convert a lot more things than you'd normally want to). He was a very fun deity to worship, my all time favorite. You had to decide how long you could tolerate his assholish-ness before bailing, and if you miscalculated you were probably screwed. I hope we get the old GG back, because I just don't feel like reinvesting all the time and energy in learning a new god that plays completely differently from the old one (and instead plays a whole lot like Taurog, Dracul, and Tikki Tooki).
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:24 pm

I think they might have buffed enlightenment, now that he is the most stingy thing in the world. Of course we wouldn't know, because you can't see it without that 100 piety.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:48 pm

I should say this before I forget.

Thanks for changing Dwarves back!
gjaustin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons