Someone talk to me about playing as a gorgon..

All things Desktop Dungeons

Someone talk to me about playing as a gorgon..

Postby booooooze on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi good people.

So, I've played through everything on a new account, due props to the devs, not a single unity crash for me that entire time (I think), what a relief.

Started playing around with gorgons today. I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with the petrification. I'll get a (higher level) critter down to the point where my next strike will petrify them, and sometimes I take damage, sometimes not.

Anyone have any guidance for me?
booooooze

Re: Someone talk to me about playing as a gorgon..

Postby q 3 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:38 pm

Gorgons no longer petrify; instead, when a monster is below your Death Gaze threshold %, you gain an extra attack: a 100% base damage hit that ignores all resistances and always strikes first. It's kind of a lame power in most circumstances, IMO, and a far cry from what Gorgons were in the alpha, but insofar as Whupaz exists and you can amass well over 1,000 conversion points (although the total available conversion points has diminished quite a bit over the last several updates) an instant kill at that % would be open to abuse.
q 3

Postby booooooze on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:51 pm

If I'm reading you correctly, the reason I'm sometimes taking hits, and sometimes not, is because sometimes that extra attack (that strikes first) is killing them, and sometimes it's my second attack, depending on my base damage and their health?
booooooze

Postby gjaustin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Right. A good way to think about Death Gaze is that it effectively doubles the damage you deal. It's also really good against enemies with Death Protection, since it'll take out a level on it's own, then the normal attack will take out another.

In terms of general strategy, you always to prep Health->Attack and +10% badge so that you can offset her -50% attack. As for locker items, your best bets are usually a source of resistance (e.g. Dragon Shield) or Whurgarbl. The former for a melee-based poison strategy, the latter for a more Fireball based strategy.

Just be careful since there's a bug with Burning and Poison, where hitting a monster with Whurgarbl and a Poison strike will only add poison if it already has burning.

In terms of overall power, she's pretty strong but has been hurt a bit by the changes to various enemies to do magic damage. I'm still holding out that either her attack penalty is reduced slightly or she's given 25% magic resist.
gjaustin

Postby Murdus on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Note: As much as I was hoping for, the Earthmother does not give you piety for killing things. I'm guessing that's because you don't -petrify- enemies, but kill them, and spawn a stone block in it's place.

I was wondering if it's an oversight, or its deliberate.
Murdus

Postby Blovski on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Well, many changes have happened since this post and I'm trying to do DI as a Gorgon. I am useless with Gorgons in general...

So,

Preps - I've tried Dragon Shield (useful) and Trisword (mehneh) so far as locker items, been using Less Glyphs
Gods - Mystera + Pactmaker (from extra altar) was a decent run, I might try Taurog, see if he can sort out the Gorgon's problems then conv out, Binlor worked OK but not enough walls in DI to really capitalise on it. EM and Drac are both kind of out because of no bloodpools. JJ seems unpromising. GG is unworkable.
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:59 pm

I'd go Taurog with MORE GLYPHS. You'll get enough piety from the magic monsters that this will be a HUGE help. Whupaz the Firstborn as he is WAY harder than the matron. Use ENDISWAL to skip the first two guards and slayer wand the third. Prep compression. ENDISWALL as little as possible. Prep Platemail or Dragonshield. I like druids as targets if you can get enough DR or MR.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Blovski on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks - huge help - ALMOST made it but then found out that you petrify the guards with Mana Burn, which makes this level a bit impossible for Gorgons if you don't find soul orb.
Blovski

Return to Desktop Dungeons