[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Anyone else think the beta is too hard?

Anyone else think the beta is too hard?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Anyone else think the beta is too hard?

Postby Herborist on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:58 am

The difficulty ramps up very quickly. Maybe I'm going about it wrong, maybe I should farm the generic dungeon more and then attempt the later ones with better preparations. If so, then the game really should say something to that effect.

"Here are some more difficult dungeons for you to try! Make sure to farm up some of the lower ones for better preparations."
Herborist

Re: Anyone else think the beta is too hard?

Postby PeaceChaser on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:36 am

It is quite hard, but I don't think that is a problem. There are a couple reasons that I believe that it's harder than I would expect it to be:

1) You have to earn your deities. You don't start out with those extra resources that can make or break a game.

2) The game has changed enough so that the your usual strategies don't work. Not only that, but the game continually changes from mission to mission much more so than the original, so it's harder to build up a tried and true strategy.

I said several times out loud: MAN! This is hard! But at the same time, I'm really enjoying the challenge. I am EXTREMELY impressed/pleased/not disappointed with this release. I can't believe it's the beta!
PeaceChaser

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Glowing Guardian makes the game almost laughably easy, but I don't expect that to last :p
TigerKnee

Postby bkteer on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:23 pm

wa how do you use glowing guardian effectively?
bkteer

Postby PeaceChaser on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Yeah, glowing guardian is absolutely broken. Especially when combined with imawall. And the rogue - who offsets the fact that higher level monsters automatically get first strike. Even though you can't heal very fast or use fireball effectively.

If you remain at lvl 1 the session by using the first boon, you'll have gained like 13+ levels by the time you complete the dungeon.

This doesn't save you in all situations, just most.
PeaceChaser

Postby zoombini on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:04 pm

It seems like there's a huge difficulty spike after you get halflings/gnomes - I've tried each of the 4 dungeons that unlocked (admittedly without farming for gold) and failed sorta badly at all of them.

Of course, now that I've got the unlock from each dungeon that'll make things easier. Maybe there could be a hint to that effect?
zoombini

Postby Herborist on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Herborist

Postby Nandrew on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:27 pm

The difficulty is already being smoothed out: the curve on the four regional dungeons, Venture Cave and Den of Danger will be a little more generous with the next update, and we're busy testing out a bunch of quests to apply to these areas so that players have another way to build up strength and resources in the long term.

You won't see them just yet, but quite a few quests actually have item rewards which increase the shop pool (if you've unlocked THOSE yet) and give you some powerful tools to put into your adventuring locker as well.

... and yeah, we've taken note of the Glowing Guardian "humility exploit". Bye bye, repeatable boon casting. :P He should be useful enough even without that, we think.
Nandrew

Postby 232 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:34 pm

Out of curiosity, after killing 4 boss goats (and watching the value go down) I've gotten 5 other trophies since then, yet when I brought back another goat horn the value went down again. Will it ever go back up?

Postby metroid composite on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:45 pm

I already posted that I thought the Northern Desert was unexpectedly hard (at least with Wizard) when done first. But...I had less trouble with the other three regional dungeons--possibly because I just had more unlocked. Possibly Thief/Fighter/Priest are just much better classes than Wizard when Wizard can't get 2 MP HALPMEH + 1 MP BYSSEPS.

I'll be interested to see the new Glowing Guardian (as the one I last played was hillariously broken). I think even one use of Humility will be worth worshiping GG for (reminds me of the +1 exp boon for Pactmaker). Taurog is also pretty good. Mysterra is pretty ho-hum right now, but will be a lot better once I can combine the "extra mana but all enemies get magic defence" boon with something like the healing glyph; still a useful god for the +25% fireball damage (deal physical damage to the boss first, then buy this boon). Tiki Tooki seems...hard to get a big advantage out of; I was able to afford one boon right at the end of the game, got first strike, and used it like...twice. Maybe the other potion types are worth a boon and a converted potion, though? I've yet to actually try them.
metroid composite

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons