[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Ick Swamp "Way of the open fist"

Ick Swamp "Way of the open fist"

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Ick Swamp "Way of the open fist"

Postby gjaustin on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:35 pm

My thought is that Monks should get 25% magic resist back.

Gorgons also have the same problem. I've been trying to do a Purist Labyrinth run and their lack of damage is painful. They could really use either 25% magic resist or a smaller damage penalty.

Edit: Or my preferred solution, give them +1 base damage per level.
gjaustin

Postby CznRhubarb on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:06 pm

CznRhubarb

Postby The Avatar on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:10 pm

And Magic Resist is more useful. Although the double regen is great.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Ara on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:32 pm

The double regen seems to counter-balance the halved attack power, but with the monster regenerating too, regen fighting is not really efficient resource-wise.
Ara

Postby gjaustin on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:59 pm

gjaustin

Postby Ara on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Taken alone, sure it's great. But with halved attack power, the monk has to take twice more hits, so all in all, he uses more resources for the same result, since monsters also regen a bit.

EDIT: I'm occulting cases like orc monk with trisword (or human ? not sure what is best in the monk+trisword case).
Ara

Postby Darvin on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:00 pm

Complex bag of worms. If you're purist, I'd say human hands down if you're scumming for Trisword. With the HP->Attack prep, we'd be knee deep in math to figure this one out.

In any case, the monk has lower attack power, but he also has his powerful resistances, so he still nets out being twice as effective at regen fighting. If you can overcome your damage penalty, he goes nuts.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:54 pm

Except magic monsters destroy him. Fast. Although with Binlor and stone heart he can be great.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Ara on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:27 am

Yup, the monk sucks hard at magic bosses (hello 145 damage aequitas, or 60% resist tormented one! :evil:). What's funny is, in my case anyway, I have less problem dealing with Bleaty as a berserker than as a monk. Oh the irony!

Also, as already stated, this game is not low damage friendly: more hits taken = more debuffs.

So far, my strongest monk was an elf of mystera with crystal ball. :lol:

EDIT: sorry for hateful posts, I just can't stand the current state of the monk: too many holes in his gameplay. He sure could use either a lesser attack penalty or some magic resist.
Ara

Postby The Avatar on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:46 am

Yeah, ever since Lujo's monk thing, or whatever you want to call it, monks have been constantly nerved into the ground. And now they're weak, and a ton of stuff does magic.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons