[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Rate Those Boons!

Rate Those Boons!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Rate Those Boons!

Postby Darvin on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:31 am

In the spirit of brazen discussion and ranking of the various aspects of the game, I present to you my (rough) opinion on overall boon rankings in this game:

Top Tier
The very juiciest, most wonderful awesome boons out there. Deities with even one such boon are superb picks.

Absolution
Body Pact
Humility
Blood Tithe
Boost Health
Boost Mana
Stone Heart
Consensus

High Tier
While a notch below the best boons, these are still highly respectable and great choices in almost any scenario.

Chaos Avatar
Poison
Blood Shield
Blood Swell
Tikki's Edge
Reflexes
Warrior's Pact
Last Chance

Mid Tier
This is the middle-of-the-road stuff. The bread and butter of boons. All well worth your time, but not worth going too far out of your way for.

Dodging
Magic
Stone Skin
Unstoppable Fury
Blood Hunger
Stone Fist
Spirit Pact
Scholar's Pact

Low Tier
While not bad, per say, these are clearly sub-par boons. They're worth your time if nothing better is available or if they're well-suited to your current situation, but generally offer too little to be worthwhile if there are better offerings on the table.

Taurog's Helm
Taurog's Armor
Stone Form
Vine Form
Entanglement
Taurog's Blade
Refreshment
Alchemist's Pact

Bottom Tier
While “crap” is a strong word, these boons are either overpriced, underwhelming, or too double-edged for serious consideration. In the right circumstances on the right character they work and none of these are useless, but they aren't ideal ways to spend your hard-earned piety.

Protection
Enlightenment
Cleansing
Weakening
Flames
Taurog's Shield
Greenblood

Not Rated
These boons are either used to control a deity's downsides or else are exclusively used to generate piety with a chosen deity. As a result, I do not regard them as stand-alone boons but rather as part of the baggage that comes with a deity. They are factored into my rankings of the other boons provided by their respective deities, just as piety generation and on-worship effects are. The sole exception to this rule is Consensus, since it can be applied to any deity and precludes pacts. Mystic Balance is not rated because I'm presuming it's going to be completely reworked in the near future.

Clearance
Plantation
Blood Curse
Petition
Stone Soup
Mystic Balance
Tribute

Open for discussion
Darvin

Re: Rate Those Boons!

Postby The Avatar on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:06 am

I wouldn't put refreshment in low tier. With mystic balance (Or a wizard) you can get 2 or so fireballs per conversion. Just use your 4 or so extra glyphs to get an off the bat high level kill. When you're about level 5. I killed a Demonlord just like that, so I wouldn't under-value it.

Other than that, I agree with your ratings. Although Protection could be put in low tier. It's nice for a late game conversion to squeeze out those last two hits.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:31 am

Wow, I think you read my mind Darvin. I agree on almost everything (especially Body Pact being near the top).

My only suggestion is to move Entaglement to mid-tier. The correct use is actually to slow all the popcorn before you eat them. It basically builds a WEYTWUHT farm for 5 piety.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:33 am

Not worth the crappy deity it's shackled to, but yeah I've probably underrated Entanglement. Refreshment is a similar case.
Darvin

Postby Gorgon on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Mystic Balance belongs to the top tier. I'd move Vine form and Flames to the mid tier and Blood Tithe to the high tier. I agree with the rest :)
Gorgon

Postby Abraxas on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:24 pm

I've been playing a lot (a lot) of fireball-focused characters lately, and I'd definitely say that Refreshment is at least mid tier. It's what got me my dragon isles wizard victory.
Also, although Flames is pretty much useless for anyone not going for a pure fireball strategy, pure fireball strategies are very much viable, and Flames works pretty well there. I'd bump it up to at least low tier.
That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Postby The Avatar on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:37 pm

I have played so many fireball characters that I LOVE the flames boon. But would it really be so good without mystic balance and some refreshment?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:01 pm

gjaustin

Postby Sythion on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Interesting rankings! It's fun to see how much differently people play.

Like others hear, I've found refreshment to be extremely useful. I typically try to save my runes conversions as end of the game resources, so I prefer races such as gnomes, halflings and goblins. I'll often start with MM, buy refreshment, convert out (after 100 piety. so easy to get with her), then save 50 piety to convert back at the end so I can get 2 free complete refills of mana.

I do not like Absolution because I feel like I'm blowing away free levels for some hp that I would get more of by leveling.
I find warriors pact uses too much piety to be worth it.
Poison is too costly to be worth it on TT, whom I normally only use to clean up for extra xp and a piety boost.
Spirit Pact low tier for most characters.
Stone skin too costly for its benefit (same tier as protection).
Vine Form is High Tier for me, as its one of the few ways to gain HP that does not require sacrifices of xp or piety. Alchemist Pact is a great way for free levels.
The FB based boons are definitely mid-high tier, especially since you can hold off on going into FB mode until you're out of health resources.
Sythion

Postby Gorgon on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:31 pm

I agree with almost everything above, except Poison and Stone Skin.

Poison is really worth its cost, specially if you're regen fighting. It means extra piety.

Stone Skin is WONDERFUL for low-resistance characters. I beat Naga City with a berserker because of Binlor ; P

Warrior pact is only useful for Taurog Orc Rogues.
Gorgon

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons