[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General thoughts on deities

General thoughts on deities

All things Desktop Dungeons

General thoughts on deities

Postby Abraxas on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:44 am

I''m aware that we've probably had several topics like this already, but with the game balance constantly changing I'd think it's alright to renew certain topics of discussion every now and then. My mind has been on deities lately, so here we are.

I'd like to open with the question: how powerful do you think deities should be? I trust we can all agree that all deities should be roughly as powerful as each other, but where should the standard be set?
Myself, I find the current incarnations of Binlor, Dracul and Mystera to be pretty good guidelines of how powerful deities should be, also maybe TT, based on what I read on the forums, but I don't use him enough to be sure. Not that these deities couldn't use adjustments, but I still like where they're at right now.

As for the other deities, I'd say the Earthmother, Taurog and GG fall on the weaker side.
The Earthmother can actually be fairly useful, but she's still lacking something that has significant late-game usefulness.
Taurog is still a nice piety farm and a very nice deity for beginners, but he still suffers from his sword and shield only being useful early on dungeon runs, and the condition for getting his death protections is too limiting.
I can't really say I've played with GG a lot after his nerf, but the impression I'm left with is that he's a god that makes you jump through many hoops to get pretty measly rewards.

The Pactmaker is the pactmaker, I don't really have much to say about him, except that I find it hard to find situations where I can put the Alchemist's pact to good use.

And finally there's JJ. I think the Petition nerf made it even more apparent that JJ is too straightforward of a deity (get petition as soon as possible, reap the rewards with no more consequences), which really feels like it goes against his theme.
I have a suggestion in mind which I believe is at least interesting: Have JJ behave more like the other deities (reward certain actions with piety, punish others, preferably giving random punishments when the piety goes into negatives), but rather than having his likes and dislikes set into stone, make it so that in every dungeon run he has a different "mood."
So for instance, in a certain dungeon run he punishes the use of glyphs and rewards killing higher level enemies, while in a different dungeon run he actually rewards glyph usage, and punishes the killing of the undead. And of course, the only way to find out his current likes and dislikes is by experimenting. By randomizing his mood in every dungeon run, you'd really stick with his theme and make him much less straightforward to play with.
Petition could then mayhaps be changed into a boon that "shuffles" his mood into something else, making it less likely for him to ruin dungeon runs from the get go (like punishing glyph usage when you're playing a spellcaster).

And these are my current thoughts on deities. I really like how the deities have been evolving over time and overall getting clearly more balanced, but there's always room for improvement. Discuss away.
That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Re: General thoughts on deities

Postby Darvin on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:59 am

Darvin

Postby Gorgon on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:01 am

Gorgon

Postby Gorgon on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:03 am

Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:28 am

I use it, but only after I've taken everything else I want and can't convert out due to mystic balance. I think making the starting cost 10 or 15 would be better. If it costed 6 with no increase (How much it costs to do two ENDISWALLS) it would still be worse, as it only lowers magic res, reduces your magic res, and doesn't give you magic res.

As for the JJ thought, I say that's too much of a gamble. I like his piety scheme, but I think petition should cost only 25, remove corrosion and weakening from his punishments, and half the chance of him punishing you. I also think his boons should be more random. They're simply full heals and stat boosts. How about some more randomness? Perhaps a chaotic boost boon? It either consumes a shop for 10 gold, a mana potion for 3 mp, a health potion for 20 hp, or an altar for nothing. It's usually good, but not ALWAYS good. The new boon could be whatever. Perhaps a new repeatable polymorph that shuffles the monster types (but only from the monsters already in that dungeon)?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Fran on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:47 am

Just to toss in some ideas, this is a crazy concept for taurog:

Additional Penalty:
-1 Piety for every MP regenerated by Tiles

Boons:
- Taurogs Sword, 25 P: Get the Sword, +5 Base Damage
- Taurogs Shield, 25 P: Get the Shield, 5 DR
- Sanctify Sword, 50+25P: Gives Taurogs Sword additional effects: 1) Burning 2) Slow 3) Decreases physical resist by 5%
Requires the Sword in your Inventory, obviously
- Sanctify Shield, 50+25P: Gives Taurogs Shield additional effects: 1) 25% PhysRes 2) 25% MagRes 3) 20 DR
Requires the Shield in your Inventory, obviously
- Unstoppable Fury: The same way it is now, but you only need Sword and Shield

General ideas behind it:
You can concentrate on strengthening your physical attack or your defense for one slot each. You shouldn't have enough piety to maximize both. Magic should be penalized more while worshipping him. The MP penalty is effectively paying the spellcost in piety, *BUT* you can prevent that if you refill your mana by leveling up or similiar means, which makes a difference. I'm not keen on the numbers and guess they are too overpriced or too low anyway, but I'd like you to take it as a concept and try to balance/change it into another version as you see fit.

Regarding JJ:
Combine the MP and HP boost to a single boon and make it 50% which of the stats gets raised but you have to pay both potions.
Fran

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:52 am

If you got a 3 time boost on shield that's 65 DR and max both resists. Broken, but I like the concept.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:53 am

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:06 am

Hmm... True. Perhaps a mana burn and poison immunity boon?

The Avatar

Postby fall_ark on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:36 am

fall_ark

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons