[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General thoughts on deities

General thoughts on deities

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General thoughts on deities

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:40 am

In that case, what petion does is limit punishment to killing and revealing monsters, halving punishment chance, remove corrosion and weakening, and it's cost is reduced to 25 piety.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:19 am

My thoughts:

GG - Absolution and Humility are great. Good luck getting piety though

TT - Strong, but not useful in every situation. Perfect.

JJ - Strong and useful in every situation. Probably too good.

Mystera - Weakening is still awful, but overall useful and reasonably well balanced.

Taurog - His boons are very situational, but his high piety gain is very nice. Combines very, very well with Body Pact (my choice for top boon).

Binlor - I'm a big fan of Binlor now. Easy piety gain and a nice assortment of boons that are pretty useful. The fact that his boons stop working when you run out of walls (literally, it won't let you take them!) is annoying though.

Dracul - Strong in the right situations, weak in other. Balanced quite well.

Eartmother - Useful, but in a completely counter-intuitive way. You worship her for the free IMAWAL and petrify plants for bonus exp. Then you slow everything down for bonus popcorn experience. Then you convert out.

Pactmaker - I can't think of a case where you don't want this altar to spawn.

Overall, I'd say that Binlor, Dracul, and TT are at the right spot right now. On the plus side, they have enough varied boons that they support multiple strategies and they provide good sources of piety. On the negative side, they have some really harsh piety penalties or other drawbacks (i.e. destroying walls) that keep them from being completely obvious.

Taurog and GG are the ones that need the most work. Earthmother just needs to have Vine Form give resists so that she scales properly. JJ just needs to have Petition convert all punishments into Weakening (I'd say Corrosion but that's Earthmother's thing).

My only complaint about Pactmaker is that he rewards scumming. The fourth altar spawned by the prep should just always be him.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:32 am

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:47 am

My thoughts:

EM - it may sound strange but I've never really had problems with EM. Her main problem was that the other piety farm deities had more usefull boons and almost equal piety farm potential. Since I've always used TT a lot, taking her first, racking up levels and piety and grabing cheap boons then slowing everything and converting to TT from a massive popcorn bowl bonanza always felt really good. I only stopped using her regularly when I discovered how good a piety farm the old GG was, but that turned out to be a dvelopment mistake. The strat's still great for fighters, mass slow + fighter XP bonuses + Tiki's Edge = massive level catapulting.

She could use work, but I feel like there having too many more usefull piety farms is her real problem. I've also never really tried out the corrosion+spellcaster combo enough, but that might need testing too.

Taurog - again, it's a perspective thing. He's deffinitely a good piety farm (excelent now that there are more spellcasting monsters around). The lack of +DMG items in general makes the sword a better choice for an item slot than it looks. Also, the possible string of death protections that work off piety instead of other resources is actually fundamentaly broken, and the "takes up your inventory" deal is either a harsh counterbalance to that or quite irrelevant when you consider that the "string of freebies" characters are very often conversion heavy.

I'd say his main problems are the complete prohibition of ANY glyph use. If there was an intuitive way to allow him to grant you at least BYCEPS, possibly a shrunken down variant upon joining that doesn't count as a spell, I'd say he'd be a lot more appealing. His second problem in my opinion is that the shield sticks in your inventory long after it has inevitably become somewhat useless. I'd say welding the sword and shield togather might be more appealing to me than the armor pieces. Or making his "gear" behave as physical glyphs, as in, being items that you can click on to cast predetermined spells, with carefull consideration of which glyphs exactly.

Say put BYCEPS on the shield, WONNAFYT on the sword, death protections are his final boons anyway so CYDSTEPP has been taken care of, and I'm not sure what the other ones would be...

I don't have the time to talk about the others, but those 2 seem to need work so I guess this is enough. I think the glyph-on-a-stick idea for taurog might be a good one if done right.

EDIT: thematicaly, Byceps could go on the Armour and Wonnafyt on the helm, which would leave pissorf to the shield as a shiled bash I guess though I'm loath to give dmg spells to Taurog. Still no clue as to what the sword would do then. Getindare? I'm not sure wether this would be impossible to balance but it would be hell'a fun and flavourfull :_D
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Fran on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Fran

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:23 pm

My mistake! That could work, but people would probably just grab the resists and convert out.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Any chance I could get feedback on my Taurog idea? I can shorten the post considerably if it ment it might get some attention :(
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby fall_ark on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:56 pm

fall_ark

Postby gjaustin on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:21 pm

gjaustin

Postby Fran on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:35 pm

Last edited by Fran on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons