[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General thoughts on deities

General thoughts on deities

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General thoughts on deities

Postby The Avatar on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:19 pm

I think just attaching a spell to each equipment would work. Perhaps just making it identical to how the spell works, but you don't take a piety penalty.

Sword: BICEPS
Shield: PISORF
Armor: CYDSTEPP (?)
Helm: GETINDARE (?)

Those are all physical glyphs whether it is death protection, shield bash, extra damage, or an extra hit.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:22 pm

I disagree that Taurog is a masterpiece. He certainly is simple and easy to use, but that's only one element of design. His items as they are right now just are not interesting and at the same time preclude more interesting options. When you're first starting out as a beginner with little knowledge of the game that straightforward nature is helpful, but once you get a little distance into the game and start learning how to use glyphs effectively and combo other items Taurog is just a handicap whose only redeeming feature is the ability to chain death protections.

Now, I agree that the ideas being thrown around here (including my old one from a while back) are too complex and Taurog should remain simple. However, he should still offer unique benefits that cannot be gained elsewhere, and he should expand beyond being an inventory hog.

I also dislike the idea of putting glyph effects on his items. We have glyphs for that purpose. I'd rather the items bring something new and unique to the table.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Well, I'm not saying that the item effects as they are are brilliant, but the concept is. I don't think we should even try talking the devs out of it.

Making the items more worthwhile, now, that is a good idea. Having his gear consist f 3 items like you suggested a while back with welding the resistance pieces togather might also be good, as well as welding the resistance pieces and adding back the boots with perma byceps as the 4th piece.

And we all know that I always vote for boring but practical and dependable over unique. :) It's just me. I even have a justification for it that goes beyond matters of taste and pefference, really: Unique can be gamebreaking and counter intuitive / unpractical, boring and dependable in large quantities, even if strong, at least makes you hunt for all the pieces.

And I'd deffinitely not give the equipment acess to any really powerfull glphy. I'm not even sure about pissedorf being a good idea, besides the flavour. I say byceps for the armor (makes your body strong), wonnafyt for the helm (makes you go nuts for fighting), and I'd most likely want to weld the other two to avoid giving anythign pissorf.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 pm

A perma-might effect would be AWESOME, and it would also get rid of the obscene problem Taurog worshipers have with goo blobs. Perhaps making the sword 1 base damage per level is better, as it stacks, and some sort of physical bypass (10%?) Those two effects, perm-might and resist bypass, are unattainable anywhere else. As for the shield, perhaps corrosion immunity? And 1 DR per level?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Don't forget that perma-might is (indirect) resist bypass.
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Whatever combination of the above distributed among 3-4 items should be fine and dandy, IMO.

And if my stated prefference for boring and practical somehow contradicts my railing on "staples" like JJ and all that, well, I like my practical practical, and my boring BORING. Not "gotta have this thing every run as it allows thing I can find nowhere else" kind of boring, but rather the "ah, not bad, but i won't be able to trounce stuff with just this old thing" kind of boring.

Also, I would pay them good money to imlement a perma might effect on a brand new spanking item. "Tarogs Codpiece", to be precise. Purile and crude, I know, but I'm still only beginning to grasp the concept of "fun".
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 pm

It isn't a resist bypass, it's a resist reduction. Let's say you're fighting a goo blob. The first hit you do 60% of your damage (cause you bypass 10%, leaving 40%). The next you do 63% of your damage, due to the three resist you subtracted when you hit him with might. It's sort of like a stacking indirect resist bypass.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:54 pm

Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:22 am

gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:29 am

No, the might is also +30%, and do you really want to pass up 10% resist bypass?

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons