[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Keyboard controls in paid version

Keyboard controls in paid version

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Keyboard controls in paid version

Postby Squishy Tia on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:27 am

As noted by me above, most laptops lack a numpad. That means that the arrows would need to be enabled for movement as well. It works awesomely in the alpha version, and it's a common mechanism for movement in most any game, so why it isn't in the beta client I have no clue.

Not having to bother with the mouse would make this a very much more enjoyable game (it'd be one of only a small number of games that wouldn't require a mouse to work, something I consider a godsend).
Squishy Tia

Postby Darvin on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:55 am

The problem with keyboard movement without the numpad is that the moment you have to move diagonally you have to reach for the mouse.
Darvin

Postby q 3 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:57 am

Would it be too hard to include fully customizable keyboard controls?
q 3

Postby Darvin on Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:24 am

Depends on how the devs have coded the game. From their previous comments, it seems just about everything is hard-coded, so they'd probably have to rewrite a sizeable chunk of code (still nothing you couldn't do in a day).
Darvin

Postby Ara on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:39 am

Handling diagonals with 2 arrow keys shouldn't be hard to code, especially if actions trigger on key up.

Also, I largely prefer to cast spells using alpha keys (G for GETINDARE, E for ENDISWAL...) rather than numeric keys.
Ara

Postby jenkido on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:58 am

jenkido

Postby Kolmar on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: laptops and diagonals, I ended up learning the vi key movements for DCSS pretty easily. The only real hurdle is remembering which of j and k does up versus down. (I want to say j is down, k is up.)
Kolmar

Postby Windswept7 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:21 am

Yes! Thank you OP! I totally agree that was one thing I loved about the free version which i'm finding annoying in the beta.

Keyboard controls.

I currently use a laptop and no it doesn't have a number pad and yes I do have to reach for the mouse when i'm going diagonally. However I prefer it.

Killing mobs and picking up potions via the keyboard arrows or wasd keys was MUCH easier than clicking on everything. Please implement auto pickup of potions and keyboard movement. Otherwise the game is great.
Windswept7

Postby Windswept7 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:31 am

Windswept7

Postby Nateon on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Yes! I don't know how many times I've accidentally clicked a monster with my laptop trackpad only to die in frustration. Having keyboard controls would make things so much easier for me.
Nateon

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons