[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Magic Tower level 2

Magic Tower level 2

All things Desktop Dungeons

Magic Tower level 2

Postby Xanopticon on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:45 pm

Why not just have all 3 abilites to choose from instead of just 2 of 3... with the option to pay to change it. It seems pointless to me, do we really need gold sinks? You can only use 1 at a time anyway.

Sorry if this seems trivial to some but it bugs me.
Xanopticon

Re: Magic Tower level 2

Postby dislekcia on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:22 am

dislekcia

Postby Xanopticon on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:08 am

Since all I really know atm of the different levels and what preperations they offer is the Mage Tower, it sounds like you're not wanting to simply offer all of them to choose from as we please. Instead, the player has to make a choice and live with it or pay a price to make a change. So if we wanted to change the preps for a different class we will effectively have a 200 gold tax to do so or perhaps this could be seen as the price to pay for the advantage it provides....?

I guess if the amount of preperations go down the problem would go away but what if that doesn't happen?

What happens at level 3? Do we get to chose only 1 of 6(4, 2 at a price) preps on offer? To early for me to talk about this really =/
Xanopticon

Postby PeaceChaser on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:47 pm

The original alpha design was very, very good. That's why we're here now isn't it? Unlocking small buffs that helped slightly on every dungeon like more gold/more shops/better equipment. Also, it challenged you to try really odd combos on all of the available dungeons, not just beat them once and move on. The low number of different dungeons allowed the developers, I assume, to spend a lot of time tweaking and balancing the game. This is the beta, so I definitely understand the lack of balance.

The alpha was worth my $20.00, the dev's attitudes are a bonus, and the fact that a new desktop dungeons is being developed is a bonus. I'm never going to complain about the end product. However, I would truly impressed if the original concepts were improved upon. The core alpha game was:

-Balanced
-Minimalistic
-Replayable

Remember when we had only four dungeons? You guys built four dungeons. We played for DAYS. This beta, you built about a dozen dungeons, plus puzzles, I played for a day tops.
PeaceChaser

Postby Aequitas on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:08 pm

@PeaceChaser did you beat all the dungeons already? If so grats! I think the fact that you spent days and days playing the alpha might have given you quite an advantage ;)

We plan to have hordes of quests to keep you playing, pushing you into different dungeons with class/race combos that you might *really* not like. I think the only reason there were so few dungeons in the alpha was because it was near impossible to do any post generation scripting.

By the time we're done, you will have to beat at *least* as many dungeons as you did in the alpha, so don't worry ... you can still sink days into DD ;)
Aequitas
Site Admin

Postby PeaceChaser on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Thanks for responding so quick!

To be honest, I did not beat all of the dungeons. I might be able to, I don't know. If I complete the game, that's the end - I have to wait for a content patch before I can go on :) I'm saving the last bits to really satiate my DD dependency, if, you know, it gets out of hand.

I'm not at all worried about content! This is the beta!

I'd like to mention, though, that challenge and difficulty are different things. Some of the 72 DD alpha victories (twice, btw) weren't overly difficult, just a challenge to overcome - some of them were very difficult. These last two beta dungeons are ridiculously difficult, and there's nothing (obvious?) to unlock if I beat them. That's not a negative thing - they need to be that way so that imbalances and exploits can be discovered. I'm just not driven to continually attempt them just now.
PeaceChaser

Postby Xanopticon on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:14 pm

It looks like i'm the only one who has a problem with paying 200 gold to change avaliable preps. I find that odd tbh, i'm trying to save up for level 3 classes but getting 950+ gold(plus extra for preps) is not easy for me. When I go to use a wizard or sorcercer I realise I can't have extra mana boosters unless I pay 200g, which annoys me so I just use something else.

I realise the game is still possible without the prep but I just don't like knowing i'm missing out on something that could help me especially when i'm no expert, 200G would wipe most of the quest reward - so it wouldn't be productive to switch avalible preps.

Maybe i'm just lazy at grinding/farming and everyone else has mountains of gold? Can someone (a player) answer this please?
Xanopticon

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:15 am

Well... I have 3000 gold and nothing to do with it.

I mean, if you need more gold, you can always do extremely quick sweeps in Den of Danger/Venture Cave with a Dwarf Rogue or something. Unless you get unlucky and get multiple of the same bosses in a row, you're generally going to come out with significantly more money because you don't really need preparations for doing those non-puzzle dungeons.
TigerKnee

Postby Xanopticon on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:26 pm

Xanopticon

Postby michal.lewtak on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:07 am

Still, we need to be able to at least see the hidden preparations.
michal.lewtak

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons