Mid dungeon saving?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Mid dungeon saving?

Postby grant on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:15 pm

I'd love to have a way to save mid dungeon and pickup where I left off next time I login.

I sometimes play from work on my breaks, and it really sucks when I've paid lots of gold for preparations and end up having to close it without finishing the level. Or when I accidentally hit refresh. Or when unity3d crashes. Etc, etc.

Even if it didn't save that part on the server, just saved it locally, it would be a big plus in my books!
grant

Re: Mid dungeon saving?

Postby dislekcia on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:59 pm

The problem with mid dungeon saves is that people would abuse that to learn dungeon layouts, disconnect and then play perfectly. It's something we've really thought long and hard about and can't see an easy way around...
dislekcia

Postby harfatum on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:17 pm

If you load the save, it erases itself?

Or, if you quit the game in a level without dying or exiting, it remembers your last state and offers to let you resume from there the next time you load the game? This would cover crashes, disconnections, etc. You'd need some sort of provision that you wouldn't be able to play while disconnected if this option were turned on, to prevent scenarios like you mentioned.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby The Avatar on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:26 pm

Just make it quit immediately after you save and erase immediately after you load it. Then you can't make multiple saves to get around any auto delete, and you can't look at the map before reloading your save.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:38 pm

At a certain level, the game will be running on a local machine and a crafty user can cheat to his heart's content. The real issue is not preventing cheating, which is utterly impossible, but rather how many hurdles the user should have to jump through in order to cheat.

The issue that Dislekcia brings up is not that it's merely possible to cheat (of course it is) but rather that this would make it so straightforward that it doesn't necessarily feel like cheating.
Darvin

Postby grant on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:57 am

As it stands now I could avoid losing money by copying my save, going into a dungeon fully decked out, and if I fail copy my save back. Or with enough time and effort I could use cheatengine and start messing around with variables to give me an advantage.

If you are concerned about it being used to cheat easily, do what other games with similar concerns do: saving immediately saves and exits the game. When you load the save, it starts the game and deletes the save.

People who want to cheat will. If it's a matter of achievements or high scores then maybe give an option to only allow online saves, no local saves, and mid dungeon saving. And exit when saving. Then people can't mess around with the save.

Or if you want to get REALLY interesting...save the parts of the map that are exposed and regenerate the rest of the dungeon randomly so the hidden parts are different each time? Don't know if that's possible with the way dungeons are generated, but it would stop the kind of cheating you are concerned about.

I don't want to cheat, I just want a chance to finish a dungeon!
grant

Postby The Avatar on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:44 am

That's a cool idea...

But I'm pretty sure it randomizes the dungeon before a single tile is revealed. And to rerandomize it would have to take into acount how many boosters/gods/glyphs (even if you converted them)/goldpiles you've already found.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:49 am

What's the issue with deleting mid-game saves on load like a lot of other Roguelikes do?
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:18 am

I dunno. You might be able to go into the local version and copy it, but if it's online, I'm not sure how you can.

The Avatar

Postby valcamo on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:32 am

This can be already accomplished by using a virtual machine.
Tested with VMWare and it works.
Just load the page in a browser INSIDE the virtual machine, play, suspend the virtual machine, take a break, resume the virtual machine and continue playing were you left off.

This can be easily abused, as the devs said, but right now it is possible to cheat in the game using freely available tools like Cheat Engine...
valcamo

Return to Desktop Dungeons