Rounding Calculations

All things Desktop Dungeons

Rounding Calculations

Postby joek0 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:23 pm

I don't know why I took this long to ask, but I am asking now since it matters when fighting monsters at a higher level than me. When doing damage calculations, the way that the game rounds off the numbers is inconsistent. This is what I have learned since playing the alpha and beta versions of the game.

When calculating the bonus damage, the result is rounded down. When calculating damage resistance it goes up or down depending on the one who has the resistance. Can anyone verify if this is correct and tell me more about how the game rounds the numbers in the game.
joek0

Re: Rounding Calculations

Postby gjaustin on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm not sure how the game rounds myself.

So I always assume it rounds in the least favorable manner to me.
gjaustin

Postby Gorgon on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:53 pm

That's it. It always rounds in the least favorable manner possible.
Gorgon

Postby q 3 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Berserkers, Warlords, and Thieves all have their damage rounded down twice, which I find somewhat obnoxious (and it can on occasion be a nasty undocumented feature, when you end up one or two HP short of a kill that you thought you were going to get). Their situational +30% boost (higher level monster, low HP, and first attack respectively) are not added to bonus damage but rather is calculated separately. For example, if you have 5 base and 10% bonus, instead of doing 7 damage (5 + 40% of five which is 2) you do 6 (5 + 10% of five which rounds to 0, and 30% of 5 which rounds to 1).
q 3

Return to Desktop Dungeons