Anyone ever beat the normal dungeons?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Anyone ever beat the normal dungeons?

Postby tonetheman on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:20 am

I have been at least 2 weeks now and I am pretty sure I have only beaten the normal dungeons like once (den of danger). Does everyone have cheat codes or maybe I am just missing something on what you are supposed to be doing? Is that normal? Pretty sure I will not be getting past those for a while....
tonetheman

Re: Anyone ever beat the normal dungeons?

Postby dislekcia on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:02 am

It's definitely possible to beat the normal dungeons, it's just a matter of learning what the game is asking you to do in terms of efficiency at first. What typically happens in your runs and have you read any of the general strategies on the wiki or some of the threads here?
dislekcia

Postby Joist on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:38 am

Read this thread. All of it. It's gold.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1841
Joist

Postby tonetheman on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Yeah I read that thread pretty closely but in almost every dungeon I run I end up with what appears to be an impossible way of winning. I end up with either lots of the blue mana eaters or just no way to level up high enough to beat the main boss. Probably just my luck... hopefully I can play most of the game never beating those bosses? Who knows.
tonetheman

Postby Joist on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:40 pm

The main thing that I never got in the beginning was slingshotting up the levels. At level 1 you should be killing level 2s, at level 2 level 3s (preferably level 4s) etc. Is there a specific dungeon you are having trouble with? Some bosses are very hard with the wrong strategy (caster vs melee). What are you prepping too? Stuff like that.

Maybe do a playthrough and post it over here ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1974 ) so we can give you some advice.
Joist

Postby Gorgon on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:23 pm

This thread reminds me of the time when normal dungeons were hard for me. The main problem I used to have is that I would explore too many tiles, and kill all low-level monsters in my way. By the end of the run, there was no space left and I was still at lvl 4 :D
Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:18 am

I never had those problems, due to experience from the alpha, but I remember getting destroyed in my first few runs, until I developed reliable strategies and tactics.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:32 am

I had experience with the alpha, as well. Yes, I got slaughtered when I was learning the ropes (just like everyone else) but I kept going.
Darvin

Postby Gorgon on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:14 pm

I started playing the alpha just after I started losing in normal dungeons. The alpha was a big help, I got a lot of experience from it.
Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:13 pm

The important thing is not giving up.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons