[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Preparations and Pressure

Preparations and Pressure

All things Desktop Dungeons

Preparations and Pressure

Postby Kuranes on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:53 am

Today I'd like to discuss one of the more psychological aspects of DD.
This is something I notice; when I use preparations I often feel at unease through the whole session (untill Victory is certain) because something is constantly at risk (the roughly 100 gold from the kingdoms vault), am I the only one who feel this way?

Also I know 50-200 gold isn't alot if you have several thousand gold coins (which I actually do), but I'm still at unease no matter how small amount is at risk.

However this pressure isn't present with "classic" runs (ei unprepared), since nothing is at ease I can more easily do several runs in a row for the fun of it, where the pressure of risk more often than not keeps me from doing many prepped runs in a row.
"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Re: Preparations and Pressure

Postby Joist on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:12 am

I found it annoying until I finished the main quest line. Now I have gold coming out of my ears.

If you don't have access to the "extra trophy reward" dungeons take a purist or near-purist tinker into Hobbler's Hold. When you beat the boss transmute it with the free seal you get. That'll net you 350g for 5 minutes of fairly thoughtless work. I did it while watching tv :)
Joist

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:01 pm

I don't exactly feel pressure when I'm using them, I'm just carefree when I'm not. I. e.Purist vicious always takes me a ton of tries due to careless mistakes that I wouldn't make with preparations.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Kuranes on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm

"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby Raz on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Transmuting the boss trophy also prevents progression of Horatio's quest by not bringing a trophy back to the kingdom.
Full gold value for trophy and no economic collapse = win-win :P
Once the alchemist is upgraded you can do this with any boss trophy in any dungeon (just 1 cheap prep needed & its a small slot space at that) allowing you to progress other quest lines without damaging your economy.
Makes that steep upgrade cost seem really worth it.
Raz

Postby Joist on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:13 am

Just read this on the wiki and tested it. The "bet on boss" prep works with the transmutation seal. 525g for Hobbler's if you pay 50g at the beginning isn't bad.
Joist

Return to Desktop Dungeons