[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Back from GDC!

Back from GDC!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Back from GDC!

Postby Darvin on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:10 pm

I'm talking in the sense of a stand-alone PC version.

While the web-version is something, I'd like to have an offline option. My internet connection at home is haphazard. There are some days where I'll have outages for hours at a time, so a single-player game that requires internet connection to play is completely unacceptable for me. If it's free-to-play or a beta test I'll accept that, but for the final release of a product I've paid for I expect it to run stand-alone on my PC.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Steam will allow it run stand-alone on PC without an Internet connection.

You're asking for DRM free, which is a completely different thing. DRM sucks, but unfortunately ethics seems in short supply among computer users, which ruins it for those of us who actually buy the games we play.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:40 pm

Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:55 pm

That's a... complicated argument that I'd rather not get into.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:01 pm

I assume a offline option will be available for computers as well as iOS.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:22 pm

Darvin

Postby dislekcia on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:13 am

Yes, the web version won't go away. We're not using Steam for DRM, we're using it for patching, support and visibility. Selling the game ourselves is exhausting and takes up tons of time in dealing with PayPal queries, etc. Steam gets you more sales as well as handling those sales for you - freeing up your time to work on more content or other games. That's a big deal.

I can't say exactly how the offline build is going to play with Steam for sure, seeing as we haven't started working on that yet, but I appreciate how Binding of Isaac still lets me play the game without starting up Steam by just running the executable. Great for when I'm traveling. That said, Steam isn't actually a DRM platform - it allows developers to implement their own DRM as needed - generally I'm not too upset with a once-off "are you logged in or have you logged in in the past?" check, that Steam does. Not the end of the world.
dislekcia

Postby Kuranes on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:34 am

"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby Darvin on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:29 am

Darvin

Postby thegabbert on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:37 am

I'm not an expert, but I see a lot of games sold through online stores other than steam that say the game will "register with steam", so isn't it an option to have the game downloaded and installed separately but still able to be hooked into steam for achievements and the like if you decide to do so?
thegabbert

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons