Is this an EXTREME BUG or something not DD related?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Is this an EXTREME BUG or something not DD related?

Postby l0bban on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:29 am

Hi!

I guess this isn't Desktop Dungeon related, but something else, but still; I have to ask to be sure.

After playing DD for 10 hours without pause in fullscreen mode I finally exit fullscreen and close DD.
To my horror there now is a (seemingly permanent) imprint/burn/trace of the DD inventory on my monitor. It shows as a transparent non-coloured "raster" kind of imprint, that functions as an overlay on everything else my monitor shows.

Can this in any way be related do DD? Is it even possible for an game to have a bug of that kind? Or is it what I think, that my monitor is malfunctioning (giving permanent traces) OR that my new graphic card (radeon 7750) has caused this to happen, and destroyed my monitor. What is technically possible as reason? Game, Monitor or Graphic card flaw?

Any help in the right direction, even if this probably isn't DD related, is appreciated. Before I know for sure that DD has nothing to do with this - despite my permanent DD trace on my monitor - I won't dare to play DD anymore.
l0bban

Re: Is this an EXTREME BUG or something not DD related?

Postby Joist on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:14 am

It's called burn in : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_burn-in

If you have a plasma then it's probably permanent.

If you have an LCD it'll go away.

100% completely not related to DD. It happens when an image is displayed on the screen and the pixels don't change. They sort of get locked into a certain state (on/off or a colour). I'd imagine the worst of it is the borders around menu items etc.

edit: oh, and I know it's not DD related because it's a screen hardware thing not a software thing or a computer hardware thing.
Joist

Postby dislekcia on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:50 am

Whoa... No, there's no way DD could be the cause of that. That's a hardware thing.

That said, has your monitor returned to normal?
dislekcia

Postby l0bban on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for your fast replies!

It's and LCD (A fantastic Xerox 19 inch that I have used wo any fault with perfect picture quality for 8-9 years!), and I have read the wikipedias about the "burn-ins" and "imagage percistanses" you so helpfully gave me. So I am hoping it will go away. But even for LCD's it seems it could be permanent. *shudder*

It's gone about 3 hours now since the "horror" was discovered, with monitor turned of 1 hour of those 3. No DD of course yet. :)
The trace is left, I can't say for sure if it has diminished. I will try to make a "white screensaver" to help the problem go away, and have the monitor turned off as much as possible. Then, hopefully me and my DD addicted wife can go about with our normal lives again. That is; abandoning our mature responsibilities for DD.
l0bban

Postby dislekcia on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:06 am

Wow, hope we didn't contribute to damaging such a well-aged monitor! Good luck with the burn-removal.
dislekcia

Postby Joist on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:36 am

I got it on my old iMac. From one persons experience the best thing you can do is just turn the monitor off overnight.

To prevent it in the future you'd have to shift the DD window around a bit every so often (a few pixels would do). If it's too small you could run the game through a webpage that doesn't set the Unity webplayer to a fixed width, then you could maximise the window instead of fullscreen'ing the game.

@dislekcia: Is there an official page that does this? I whipped up an offline version for personal use but I won't post it here.
Joist

Return to Desktop Dungeons