[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Suggestion - Replay

Suggestion - Replay

All things Desktop Dungeons

Suggestion - Replay

Postby sonicjyl on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Sorry to bother you, but i just thought that saving replay and sharing with other people can be good idea.
I don't know how many people would use this, but
if you can save replay as a form of text, then people would not be bothered to use it.
Here I'm thinking about a flash game - i don't remember the name but i'm sure you'll know it.
It is about making rock music, and you can save the score as a text. Other people just copy the text and paste it in the flash, then the music is played.
I don't know how hard this is to program, but i'm just suggesting, if possible.

I think saving replays will work, seeing people are discussing about their strategies on this very board.
Replays can be good tool to show one's strategy, or bragging about winning dungeons with challenging combination.
sonicjyl

Re: Suggestion - Replay

Postby FDru on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Interesting idea, but I think due to the nature of the game (being 100% turn-based) that screenshots are sufficient to capture anything notable. A replay of DD would just look like a slideshow anyway, don't you think? :p

Plus, we always have fraps and youtube.
FDru

Postby sonicjyl on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:10 am

sonicjyl

Postby franz on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:37 am

I just opened a topic with the same suggestion, like the unpolite noob I am I didn't use search first :( sorry.

Anyway, I agree that screenshots and youtube are great substitutes to a replay feature, but having one would have two major advantages: first, not everyone has the skill, time or patience to upload a video or post a ton of screenshots with meaningful commentary, second (and most important imo) a memorable run is not always obvious from the start, you could realize just after beating the boss that you've been the greatest tactician ever but there would be no way to show that to anyone, and you'd feel like Roy Batty at the end of Blade Runner. Having the possibility to save a replay at the end of a run would be great, I think it would help creating a stronger bond in an already nice community and it would be another tool to help new players familiarize with advanced tactics.
Also, and I think it's quite important for the developers, sharing one's results with the community would help add meaning to the game for a greater player base who would otherwise feel this as nothing more than a coffee break time sink.
franz

Postby dislekcia on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:04 am

Not really sure about the end-player benefit of replays... There was this great talk at GDC about how not giving players instant access to high score lists and things can create a much stronger community for your game. Bennet Foddy (of QWOP and GIRP fame) said that if he'd had a high-score table, QWOP wouldn't have the following it does.

It'll take some thinking... The game was originally built to have some sort of replay functionality, but at the moment I'm pretty sure that's horribly broken. Plus this is definitely one of those areas where balance needs to be 100% stable before you start working on it, or else you break everything repeatedly and end up doing waaaaay more work.

TLDR version: Not sure about replays, we want people to talk about the game, replays might hurt that a lot.
dislekcia

Postby franz on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:48 am

I see your point (and I agree with high-score being a risky choice).
Maybe you could find some middle ground, say having "screenshots" saved to temp memory and having the option to add a commentary and post them to the forums, instead of a full in-game replay feature. Half-assed idea I know, but that's the best the top of my head can offer now :)
Or, having the option to go over the last game played to be able to take screenshots the old fashioned way could solve part of the problem. Maybe this could even be better, since it would help prevent an overflow of uninteresting games being shared.

Anyway now I know you're at least thinking about it and I know that either way you'll make a thoughtful choice. Keep up the good work!
franz

Postby Joist on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:41 pm

There is some stuff I'd like to be able to look up about my runs. Like what I bought, what gods I used etc.

Maybe just the option to log certain stuff to plaintext files?
Joist

Return to Desktop Dungeons