[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Exclusive Subletting

Exclusive Subletting

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Exclusive Subletting

Postby q 3 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:37 pm

q 3

Postby Fran on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:49 pm

This is an interesting concept to base some balancing on.
But I'm not sure how the range of possible endgame exp behaves; the way it is now, we have a fixed minimum, but i could imagine that this way, you could really screw up. But I'm too tired to do any maths on that now. Also, makes goblin and yendor pretty useless.
Anyway, going to sleep now.
Fran

Postby Darvin on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:25 am

You'd probably need several hours of spreadsheeting to find the optimal level-up pattern to maximize your long-term XP gain, as well as patterns that allow for level-up catapults. This would bring a massive amount of complexity and learning curve to the meta-game, which I don't think is a good idea. I think the current scheme of "killing higher-level opponents is better" is just fine, the issue the devs have is that we are expending large amounts of exploration resources near the start of the game to achieve this because you often cannot find suitable higher-level opponents easily.

I believe that the only change the devs need to make is to keep the old XP curve and add a +1 bonus XP to equal-level monsters. If this were done, these would be the following three ways to reach level 2:

kill three level 1 monsters (6 XP)
kill a level 2 and a level 1 monster (6 XP)
kill two level 2 monsters (8 XP)
kill a level 3 monster (9 XP)

Those seem like reasonably balanced options to me.
Darvin

Postby franz on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:54 am

franz

Postby q 3 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:39 am

q 3

Postby The Avatar on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 am

That's the problem with weakening and corrosion monsters. As long as they exist they WILL be untouchable. I like Darvin's suggestion, but the +1 exp becomes almost obsolete once you're a high enough level. But then again people will ignore the bonus when they can find a killable level 4 goat.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:36 am

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:40 am

True, but people will still mindlessly maim high level goats at level 1 if they can. So I suppose we need to buff and nerf various monsters. I'm going to start a thread on it.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Joist on Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:08 am

I found a new subdungeon (or at least one I hadn't seen before).

You get a little area of plants and a vamp.

Kill the vamp and you get a small item that looks like a scroll, you can read it.

All the plants you can one shot and none of them have any negative effects. When you kill one it appears in the area up the top of the screen. I think you are meant to hit the plants in the right order to complete the recipes. I did two but have no idea if they worked. I didn't get any items, I may have got a buff though because I wasn't paying attention to stats.

edit: I stumbled across it again and was more careful this time.

Health Broth = +5 Max Health

Magi Soup = +1 Max Mana

Strength Syrup = +1 Base Attack

Caramel Conversions = +20 Conversion Points

Cake of Attack Bonus = +5% Attack Bonus
Last edited by Joist on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joist

Postby The Avatar on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:30 am

Cool! What region were you in? Currently max mana definitely seems like the best choice.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons