[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Help For A Noob Goblin Assassin In Shifting Passages?

Help For A Noob Goblin Assassin In Shifting Passages?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Help For A Noob Goblin Assassin In Shifting Passages?

Postby Nateon on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:48 pm

I'm having a real hard time with Shifting Passages, and I've been trying to use the Goblin Assassin, but I'm no good with him. I usually level up by killing monsters 2-3 levels higher than me by poisoning them and regening, and by the time I get to level 6, I try to take on the side boss that isn't Evolvia. The problem is, by this time I don't have many black tiles left, and I usually can't survive a hit from the boss, so I cast 2 fireballs, level myself up by killing lower level monsters and converting, then repeat. This obviously doesn't work long, and I find myself at level 8 with the boss still alive (not to mention Evolvia), little to no black tiles left, and no monsters to catapult my levels.

People make it seem so easy on the forums and wiki, but when I try to put the techniques into practice, I get nowhere. I've completed a few hard dungeons with my success with the warlord, but I feel like the warlord has a bit of trouble with the Shifting Passages. I can easily beat the normal dungeons, but some of these hard ones seem to be too difficult.

If anyone has any tips for playing the Goblin Assassin and beating Shifting Passages. Please help me out with some advice!
Nateon

Re: Help For A Noob Goblin Assassin In Shifting Passages?

Postby Joist on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:53 pm

I followed this guide the first time I beat it: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1841&start=8

It should still work now.

I don't have much experience with goblins personally, I usually go with elf as a fireball assasin. Elf + MA to reduce casting costs then try to hit 15 mana and get the fireball fireball poison combo going.
Joist

Postby Darvin on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:09 pm

I'll throw up an annotated playthrough of a purist Goblin Assassin on Shifting Passages later tonight.

It sounds to me like you're not leveling up fast enough if you've got the map explored but are only level 6. The Elf Assassin (Crystal Ball / Mystera) that Joist mentions is another very strong combo, though for purist I'd say goblin assassin is the better choice on a short level like this.
Darvin

Postby Nateon on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:09 pm

I think the problem is that I'm expending too many tiles for my regen. I might try the Elf assassin or the Elf sorcerer. I like the play style of the sorcerer more so than the assassin.

Also, thanks for opting to make a playthrough! They help immensely, and I don't think I've seen any assassin ones around, and it would be great to have a reference to compare my playstyle to.
Nateon

Postby Darvin on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Here's a goblin assassin run I did on Creeplight Ruins a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1841&start=40#p10173

Note that the current Mystic Balance boon did not exist back then, so I would have converted to Mystera very promptly upon discovering her.
Darvin

Postby Joist on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:00 pm

Well that was frustrating. You have to use IMAWAL to level up fast enough and then you need to manage to not trap yourself when you start swift handing people. I didn't have ENDISWAL I had to use PISORF. Nightmare.

Doable but I'd still go with elf caster assassin for preference.

Joist

Postby Darvin on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:13 am

You were faithless there; of course you're going to have trouble without a deity. I just did a dry run as a purist goblin assassin on shifting passages and got parched; my only boon was a single blood swell at the end (got Aequitas as my first boss and found him early, so I had him whittled down by spellcasting by the time my exploration was done, then expended my catapult on Evolvia and finished him with a blood swell and a schadenfreude. Had pactmaker to consensus for more swells as needed). I'll record my next run; hopefully it'll be just as smooth.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:27 am

I think the boss spawning is rigged. You guys keep getting Aequitas, and so do I.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Joist on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:29 am

True about the faithless, but I got TT who I couldn't use without triggering all the walls, GG who I don't like to use and Taurog who I couldn't use because I was casting so much.

If I was prepping stuff I would have taken in Binlor, personally.

MORE AQUITAS but yeah, I killed him second because I was combo melee'ing and casting. I couldn't take a hit from him so Evolvia was the easier target earlier.
Joist

Postby Darvin on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:31 am

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons