Suggestion : diplaying XP to be earned

All things Desktop Dungeons

Suggestion : diplaying XP to be earned

Postby flap on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:20 am

I have just finished playing the puzzle. Really great feature and nice tutorial material, I reckon.
But while playing the "experience" one I thought : wouldn't it be nice, if while hovering over a monster it did display the earned XP if I was to beat him ?

Because only dedicated players will remember the formula to calculate how XP is earned based on the level difference, moreover with the different XP boosts...
flap

Re: Suggestion : diplaying XP to be earned

Postby Deadman on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:37 am

Absolutely agreed, this would be a great thing.
Deadman

Postby 232 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 am

I like the sound of this one. A lot.

Postby Zaratustra on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:44 am

Yeah, I wanted to suggest that but my post never appeared for some reason.
Zaratustra

Postby michal.lewtak on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:05 am

It's just a table:
level difference / bonus xp
1 - 2
2 - 6
3 - 12
4 - 20
You don't really need more than that.
But still, it would make life a bit better, because you wouldn't have to add your xp to the monster's level to the bonus (and add 1 on top of that if you're a Fighter). Also it would make it much easier to calculate whether using IMAWAL is a good idea for a certain situation.
Suggestion for QCF: For consistency, how about a dark green bar on your xp bar that shows how much your xp will grow when killing the monster you're currently targeting? (regardless of whether you're about to kill him or not, to know beforehand). This way one can immediately see if killing some monster will level you up or not, and that would help the game's pace.
michal.lewtak

Postby flap on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:21 am

Indeed, that could look rather consistent.
However, it won't tell which monster is best to kill, if you are only a few points away from levelling. Maybe also replace the text telling your level and how XP you have, with a grey one, telling which level, and how much XP you will have after killing the monster.

But as I am writing, I realise a possible confusion : the greyed parts in health bar show would would happen after next strike ; while here we want to know what would happen when you kill the monster...
flap

Postby michal.lewtak on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:31 am

As for showing the actual number of XP gained - it could be done the way I already suggested to QCF earlier - to show the number of HP taken and mana subtracted on the dark red and dark blue rectangles, when prediting a battle (and maybe on the light red and light blue, show how much will remain). The same thing could be then added to the dark green bar of predicted XP gain.
michal.lewtak

Postby dislekcia on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:34 pm

Exp previews are in the list of stuff to do officially now :)

We've been meaning to add functionality to bars that grow (exp, conversion) to deal with wrapping amounts with a tertiary indicator in specific situations. We'll see how that goes too...
dislekcia

Postby ironicmuffin on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:07 pm

I agree, anything so I don't have to keep a calculator open would be great. Yeah, I know it's simple math, doesn't mean I enjoy doing it before every move.
ironicmuffin

Postby dislekcia on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:32 am

Should be working now. I hope... It broke petrification for a while though.
dislekcia

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons