[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Offline Beta version please

Offline Beta version please

Got a problem? Let us know!

Offline Beta version please

Postby cvb on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi,

i would appreciate if you could offer offline versions for the beta (OSX and Win) as well because if you're connecting to the net via a mobile tethering connection redownloading the content each time you want to play the game is slow and adds to your traffic. Secondly, depending on your browser, the Plugin can cause issues.

Thanks,

cvb
cvb

Re: Offline Beta version please

Postby dislekcia on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:17 pm

dislekcia

Postby cvb on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:04 am

Hi,

i would be happy if you just offer one beta offline version. It doesn't has to be updated at the same rate as the online version. I just want to have a version i can enjoy during the beta phase. Of course i can't report bugs this way but honestly my main motivation wasn't reporting bugs and more enjoying the game.

How much sense this makes obviously also depends on how long the beta phase will be.

Beside of this: There is something you're somehow doing in a rather unelegant way in DesktopDungeons because once the focus is on the game it utalises my CPU with 100% and after a short time the fan(s) start to spin up. I have no idea if this happens due to your game logic or if it's more an Unity issue, like for instance the famous draw call bottleneck Unity's GUI system causes. There are tricks how you can workaround this. Their roadmap says that the GUI system should be rewritten for 3.5 but nevertheless. I'm primary using my notebook these days so the longer my battery runs the better.

Thanks in advance,

cvb
cvb

Postby dislekcia on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:51 pm

dislekcia

Postby cvb on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:23 am

I understand your point as well and from your side it obviously makes sense.

Generally it doesn't matter this much if it's a 3d engine or not as in the end there are all just triangles for the GPU to deal with but of course it differs where the architecture of the engine is optimised for a different purpose. Maybe it would have made sense using a tool like BlitzMax or Monkey for such a type of game as well. I suspect you also wanted to target the consoles at some point. The way forward rendering works had been changed for V3 and you best combine different graphics in textures where it's possible in order to reduce draw calls. If you don't do it already, it also could help using different timing codes for the game logic and the screen updates. And so on... hard to say, if you don't know how the code looks like.
cvb

Postby dislekcia on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:28 pm

dislekcia

Return to Support