One for the beginners

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: One for the beginners

Postby Darvin on Mon May 07, 2012 5:26 pm

All we were doing with the Vampire was worshipping Drac and spamming blood hunger and blood tithe. Essentially what the devs did was they folded all the bonuses we would have gained into the class then just cut out worship altogether.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon May 07, 2012 7:04 pm

Oh. Well, that still 9 per level with Platemail, and that let's you survive a hit from every normal naga city boss.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Joist on Tue May 08, 2012 1:42 am

This game hates me. Also someone should start a "random screenshot" thread which should be stickied.

Joist

Postby The Avatar on Tue May 08, 2012 2:03 am

How about unusual screenshots. That's much more interesting. Ouch anyways. That RNG hates you.

EDIT: Excuse me, the RNG hates both of us.

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Joist on Tue May 08, 2012 2:10 am

Well, most of the "specific game" forums I've been on had one. The thread would usually be called "random screenshots" but people would post accomplishments, interesting glitches or sweet items they found. Just a place to discuss events too small to warrant their own thread.
Joist

Postby The Avatar on Tue May 08, 2012 2:14 am

Agreed. Also, just a minor discussion thread would be nice.

The Avatar

Postby Malow on Wed May 09, 2012 2:09 am

So, I've been testing the new Vampire and I really like it. It might be a little bit too strong for easy and normal dungeons, but it fits well in Hard and Vicious ones, I think.

I just got my first Vicious Win with it! It was against the Matron, and I was able to get Feeling Parched and (of course) Faithless. Woohoo! :) Finally unlocked Half Dragon :P

Malow

Postby The Avatar on Wed May 09, 2012 2:22 am

Nice! I haven't toyed with him too much, so what was your strat, out of cuiriosity?

The Avatar

Postby Malow on Wed May 09, 2012 2:53 am

Well, as you can see, I took the platemail, so that I get a 20 DR that doesn't disappear because of Lower Resists. That also really helps the vampire since Life Steal triggers after the attack, so it often gives you one more attack against higher level monsters.

Other than that, other preps were Patches, one more god (just to have more chance to get a small benefit from teh pactmaker), HP -> attack, perseverance badge, elite items, Whupax reflex Quicksilver, Translocation Seal.

At the beginning I scum for glyphs, and convert them all, except if it's a GETINDARE, which is the best glyph for a Vampire. I was lucky and found one. It allows you to launch 1 or 2 extra attacks against enemies so it's really worth it.

Always try to keep higher level monsters and keep the meat men alive. use them to heal yourself! And overheal if you can. When they are going to die to the next hit, don't kill them and make them recover health when exploring.

Use Translocation seal to get a 100 CP item from the shops. I was at 7 life steal at the end. I also was a little bit lucky and got the +50 XP item. Without it, I would have failed the level I think. The first boss is not that hard if you combine drinking from blood pools and using lower level monsters to overheal. Keep all your potions for the Matron.

Once down, if you're level 10 like I was, it's a piece of cake. You can kill all dragons easily and you get back to almost full health with the blood pool and the ~9 tiles you reveal.

Then, use Whupaz, reflex and quicksilver potion all at the same time, and just hit the matron. Reflex will give you 2 hits, so you have more life than you had first. When dodge triggers, you get back 70 HP, which is worth around 2 hits. When you do not have enought HP to survive one attack, just use GETINDARE. And boom, Matron is dead... without the use of health and mana pots! :)
Malow

Postby The Avatar on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 am

Cool! That's actually pretty standard. I thought it was going to be some crazy exploit. What other vicious dungeons do you think are possible? I'd guess all but Namtar.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons