[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - A problem of metagame

A problem of metagame

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: A problem of metagame

Postby Lujo on Mon May 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Yep, I've sort of been suggesting having the "lock the niche stuff" slots in racial building upgrades for ages, so it doesn't clutter up the pool. Might very well be a good idea...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon May 14, 2012 3:02 pm

I was mainly thinking of it to get rid of items that don't help your specific strat.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon May 14, 2012 3:33 pm

The problem is more that the game has a clutter of marginal items that have limited use and few conversion points. Basically, any item that has niche applicability needs to have large amounts of conversion points to ensure that worst-case scenario you at least have conversion fodder available for purchase. This makes items such as the blue bead - which are too inexpensive to be afforded large amounts of CP - a problem.
Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Mon May 14, 2012 5:58 pm

When I was a beginner, I used to love the blue bead. I was like "Hey, its practically free, even if it doesn't do anything." I figured having it was better than having some other item which I might not be able to buy. Now, I would much rather have a wider selection of items and just accept leaving one or two behind rather than have one of those slots occupied by a rarely useful consolation prize.
Sidestepper

Postby TigerKnee on Mon May 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Well, it's one of the casualties when the game went from a TARDIS infinite space inventory into the 6 slot thing we have now.

I honestly don't know if limited inventory space actually adds interesting design space to the system compared to Alpha.
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Mon May 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Mon May 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Mon May 14, 2012 6:58 pm

I really like Darvins idea, and the analysis of the real problem - waste of shop space. One of the key selling points of the orignial minimalist approaches was getting rid of excess potions in shops, and it was huge. Cluttered shops vs. uncluttered shops felt like a whole different game.

The browsing shops idea sounds great, the devs could also rig the what can and can't appear lists in whatever way they want.

Hmmm, what's up with so many great ideas floating around these days? :)
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon May 14, 2012 7:09 pm

The one annoyance with the new system is there's now the chance that two items you want might appear in the same shop, making scumming more annoying. Perhaps there should be a bazaar prep that let's you buy another item from the first shop you shop at. You could not buy anything till late, ruining items like fine sword, or get it early, risking losing an item you want. Or that could be a tinker ability instead of +5 shops.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon May 14, 2012 7:14 pm

There'd be plenty of laces to take this idea - there could be 2-3 regular one item shops where trinkets couldn't appear, then, say, 2 that sold item+trinket and 1 selling 3 items - a trinket, and two other items. You could unlock different levels of them by leveling up the bazzar and the bank (or whatever).

Plenty of ways to calibrate it...
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons