6%
Old
75%
Unsure
6%

Total votes : 16

Glowing Guardian Poll

Postby The Avatar on Wed May 16, 2012 2:23 am

Okay, this is to show the devs how much we want the old GG back, or how much we like the new GG. I will be the first to say I deeply preferred the theme of the old GG to the new one, so my vote will go to old.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Glowing Guardian Poll

Postby Darvin on Wed May 16, 2012 3:51 am

Here's a vote for old GG. He certainly needed work, but the new GG is no improvement.

(Also, ph34r my 1337 post count)
Darvin

Postby Bloggorus on Wed May 16, 2012 4:20 am

Liked old GG much more. He was different, and even though he was restrictive, the rules made sense. Now there's random rules all over the shop and I can't get my head around GG's mentality long enough to gain any piety.

Also, mad post count Darvin

*cowers
Bloggorus

Postby booooooze on Wed May 16, 2012 4:23 am

The devs' explanation sealed it for me. You don't need a god that rewards otherwise "perfect" play. I'm not saying the new one is coherent, but when in the history of time have gods been required to be coherent?
booooooze

Postby TigerKnee on Wed May 16, 2012 6:12 am

This isn't a realistic simulation of mythology though. We need coherency in games because it's much easier to grasp the rules this way.

Which is easier for players to learn?

"Creatures without X cannot attack creatures with X"
or
"Creatures without Flying cannot attack creatures with Flying"?

They're both technically the same restriction in mathematical terms, but the 2nd is vastly easier to grasp.
TigerKnee

Postby Blovski on Wed May 16, 2012 9:54 am

I'm alright with the new one now the piety gain's been made a little easier. Still feel his high-end boons are either underpowered or overpriced, as his restrictions and lethal punishments mean you have to have a little piety stockpiled for when you accidentally step on a coin (so absolution is rarely something you want to grab). I don't think I've used either of the middle powers.

Burnt offering might be better if the burning wasn't required to be equal to your level or whatever it is. Would make a whugarbl combination very nice indeed.
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Wed May 16, 2012 11:48 am

The problemis you rarely get it above level 3, unless you want to take the time to stack the burning.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Blovski on Wed May 16, 2012 1:03 pm

I just had a neat Ick Purist (my first Ick Purist, Ick scares me) run (halfling thief) with early GG - got a soul orb earlyish so could actually get around. Absolution + humility at level 3, desecrated Binlor to get through gold piles and so I could get humility right away (probably unneccessary/a mistake). Got up to 100 piety at around level 6-7, converted out to JJ and instant petition because, y'know, halfling thief. Took Bleaty down at level 7 with fireball + weytwut while using the health regen from mana pots to clean out other mooks and then beat whatsisname Naga at 8.

Would've been unstoppable as well but I lost the top row and didn't realise it.

Anyways, very imperfect run but fun to work with - main thing is, on Ick you can and usually will reliably either poison or mana burn yourself every time (and save a couple of conveniently placed plants for later) before you level up (and there are weak undead, which is very helpful), so GG can really stack up the piety gain there. If I hadn't been using the most potion-dependent race/class combo I can think of I'd probably have stuck with him for enlightenment + cleansing.

Also, changes to the earthmother's clearance boon a patch or two ago - she's a definite no-go on Ick and the druid one now (maybe go in, slow, convert out instantly).
Blovski

Postby Fran on Wed May 16, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm also for the old one. He needs work, but I'm sure it can be done with the theme. You could introduce gold costs for enlightment or having your level increased (without the bonus) for worshipping him (just as blood curse) so that you're not rewarded for optimal play but *have* to play optimal to get something out of him, because of the ressource costs.
Fran

Postby Gorgon on Wed May 16, 2012 7:37 pm

I don't like either of them. The new one is incoherent, and the old one was too useful. Everyone would use it, because it was useful in any situation. I even prefer the new one.

JJ needs to be remade, too. He's too useful.
Gorgon

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons