[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Fewer "no exploration" subdungeons

Fewer "no exploration" subdungeons

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Fewer "no exploration" subdungeons

Postby Darvin on Sat May 26, 2012 1:35 am

Making the entry to sub-dungeons explored in all cases hasn't solved the problem, though it has solved the problem of people not entering the subdungeons until late. Most of the small subdungeons have gotten considerably weaker as a result of this, while some of the bigger ones like zombie money have been unaffected.

A few subdungeons are definitely strong enough to merit being no-explore, the most significant being the blood fountain.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat May 26, 2012 3:15 am

Agreed.

The biggest offender is Yin Yang, which is almost always useless and provides no exploration.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sat May 26, 2012 5:33 am

And even if you can beat Ying/Yang the reward is often not even worth the effort. I pretty much only do Ying/Yang as Assassin, Rogue, and Vampire.

Hitball is pretty bad if you find it late. It's easy early on, but as a high-level character with little exploration space it's a significant challenge and you have to expend a lot of valuable tiles doing it.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat May 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Actually, it's hard at level 1 too. One of the enemies has 19 hp, and without DR he's EXTREMLY difficult.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sat May 26, 2012 4:09 pm

The third guy is hard at level 1, the first two are pretty easy. You need some sort of boost to beat him. A rogue that finds a +health item can do it blindfolded.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat May 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Or a Vamp, that actually gets healing!

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sat May 26, 2012 11:43 pm

The final hitball guy is high-health low-damage; any DR-based character will whomp him.
Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:01 am

I'd like to give this another kick. I think that this is one of the last rough parts of the game. Some thoughts on specific subdungeons:

Bloodfountain: If we're going to have no-explore dungeons, this is the way to do it. Early discoverers can take the blood hunger power and gain an exploration-like resource, late finders can take the one-off recovery instead.

Yellow Potion Dungeons: Ugh. The fully explored dungeon containing a potion that lets you swap 1 MP for 10 HP, an effect that is usually worse than nothing. This is strictly a worse find than Mothers For Safer Dungeons. I think it either needs to be shrouded or eliminated entirely.

Pusher troll: Effectively a zero exploration dungeon because pushing the troll back costs you more than you get back. A heartbreaking find when you're on your last legs and need a few tiles of recovery. Expanding the entry chamber would round this one out nicely.

Grove of Knowledge: It's great if you have the money AND find it right away, but that's too many conditions for my taste. I think that a good solution would be to add another dialogue option where you tell the druid that you prefer ignorance. He leaves, shrouding a portion of the subdungeon on his way out.

Vegetarian Vampire: Could use a bit of shrouded area in the foyer.

Contemplation: Offers lots of exploration, but only if you can afford the monk's rather large fee. Just a hair too conditional. Like the with the Grove of knowledge, I'd like there to be an opt-out choice that grants you a small portion of shrouded area for those that can't/won't pay the fee.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:07 am

Yes, yes, yes! I totally agree with you. The potion and troll are both heart-breaking and game ending.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:32 am

Darvin

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons