[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Notes on the beta

Notes on the beta

All things Desktop Dungeons

Notes on the beta

Postby increpare on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:02 am

Not sure if there needs to be a one-thread-per-person feedback thing, but I don't see a general one set up, so here's my dump after playing for many hours today

-------------------

Doesn't indicate my progress along individual missions (where I have to do finish several dungeons to complete it)? (either in the mission descriptions in the tavern or the level select map)

finding the positioning (pisorf) puzzle hard
an option to turn off text popups would be nice, I'm on my >8th playthrough now.
got it eventually, after lotsa tries
made some sense : )

experience puzzle was much easier for me (first go)

the game didn't remember that I beat it (there was a connection error when I was going back to the world, but I hit 'retry' and it proceeded ok, except that it forgot what I had done)
tried again, got acknowledgement.
I wonder if this is why I'm not making any recognised progress on the proper quests :(

i can't upgrade the blacksmith's but it doesn't tell me why

advisor tells me that there're new adventures in the explorer's guild, but there aren't

Not being able to see race descriptions when upgrading from level 0 made me far more wary about buying level 1 race holds [and, now that I have, I don't fully appreciate the varied uses of the different classes and haven't had any external incentive (in the form of a mission, say - so far the ones that I've seen have all been class based) yet to try them out.

Went to an altar of light - it tells me all the shit I'm doing wrong, but I can't figure out how to earn piety :/ (also i picked up a full heal potion and got some slap on the wrists - don't know if that nullifies everything or not :( ) [ok, I found pointers on the wiki]

At the kingdom map, it rarely occurs to me to click on the city to go back to the city - I keep on clicking on the menu option - might be clearer when the graphics are in though : )

I wish the quest lists on the kingdom view listed the class you need to complete them

Sometimes (quite rarely) the 'save/dead' preview doesn't work right - I die after killing someone that says 'safe', or sometimes if I have something like that and mouse-over it again the status is different (I've only ever noticed it changing from dead to safe)

On one level with the glowing guardian I was only able to decrease my level once - on other levels I was able to do it many times - I don't understand why...

Feeling a bit fatigued now. Too much desktop dungeons for me today. I've stopped making progress and amn't in my current state of mind much appreciating the intricacies of the current frontiers - have 7 dungeons completed. Will play some more tomorrow, for sure.
increpare

Re: Notes on the beta

Postby increpare on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:42 pm

I don't know how to approach weakening/corrosion effects yet. They just piss me off, and I don't have a good coping mechanism. I don't fully have a feeling of entitlement that I should be presented with a way to cope with these effects, but might be a good topic for puzzle levels maybe?

Not sure what destroying the orb of lusury does (what are illusions? I remember angering a god once and lots of invisible monsters appearing everywhere (I could see them on the right panel if I mouse-overed them, but didn't seem to be able to kill any of them)- is that what illusions are?)

I quite like the writing in the game : )

It seems that every post I want to make has to get approved by mods, so unless/until someone replies to this I'm just going to past them below:

-----

it's a bit annoying that you can mouse over your own attributes but not over those of the bad guys (because the pane is on the far right and only appears when mouse-overing enemies) - I still don't know what death gaze does. Not sure what a good solution to this would be...
increpare

Postby dislekcia on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Pulling some of the main points out to respond to, here goes:

Quests across multiple dungeons (there's really only 1 now, 2 in the older version you played) do need to show progress a little better, we're working on that.

The connection problems are something we're working on - we're more than aware of how slow net connections can adversely affect game experiences. Comes with the territory down here ;)

Explorer's guild puzzles aren't being tracked correctly by the savegame rebuild system right now, we need to make the version updates not trigger this all the time. Working on it.

Gods are tricky, that's DD canon ;)

Nice idea on the map screen quest info... we should make individual quests mouseover icons or something to give you access to the quest's details.

Could you elaborate on the exact things that happen when your preview behaves oddly? What effects do you have on you (maybe some aren't simulating right) and/or do you step on any powerups/corrosive blood inbetween?

The GG's level decrease boon was nerfed in yesterday's update. It was far too powerful ;)

Weaken/corrosion are mentally tricky, agreed. They feel like they're taking away from the player, which is quite different to the normal game experience. You're right, we probably need to build some puzzles involving them as tutorials to ease players in to dealing with those effects.

Some puzzles for race-specific benefits would be a good thing too...

The invisible monsters thing was a bug, hopefully that's not happening anymore...
dislekcia

Postby centopus on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 am

centopus

Postby dislekcia on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:59 pm

dislekcia

Postby platypotamus on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:13 pm

You could consider putting one of those little tabs on the bottom right when standing adjacent to a monster too, though I guess that might not work if the player is adjacent to a large enough number of monsters or plants
platypotamus

Postby flap on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:39 pm

Having info while playing would fell much more consistent with the comfortable interface of DD, than having to read a compendium.
flap

Postby Rithe on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Rithe

Postby increpare on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:24 pm

increpare

Postby increpare on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:07 am

playing again from scratch
I don't know if it's because the dialogs pop up, but whenever I kill a monster by clicking on it, clicking again to walk to that location doesn't work unless I move the cursor (the red footsteps preview doesn't appear either)
okay, after playing around for a bit in and outside the tutorial area, I've noticed footsteps not appearing a bunch of times - sometimes clicking works, sometimes it doesn't, moving the mouse at all fixes things.

possible to make another kingdom with the same name as an existing one, which overwrites it. (tried to replicate it there: and the first time I tried to create a kingdom of the same name as an existing one, it just plonked me in the same kingdom, and when I tried again it put me in a new blank kingdom).

can press space to press 'ok' on in-game dialogs, but not on ones once you're in the city/kingdom map

the "congratulations, you've just found your first spell glyph" textbox has a missing parenthesis at the end

unending popups make replaying the tutorial quite tedious.

strange that the level ending screen doesn't list all the loot

i find the description of weytwut to be weird. "slows the opponent until it takes damage" but enemies never move until they take damage, so...(I've not to date used it for anything other than swapping places with enemies blocking my way). I've not to date used endiswal for defensive purposes either.

not sure about having numbers activate spells rather than spell-specific hotkeys - I frequently have to tab to my inventory screen to

don't know if the tile rects are being correctly calculated - it seems I can have my mouse on the bottom couple of pixels of some squares square and the one below be highlighted (tried taking a screenshot, but screen capture doesn't capture cursor position in osx).
increpare

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons