[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

Postby Fran on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:38 pm

I finally managed to complete naga city with my third class, the half-dragon. I finally managed by sticking with binlor, coverting to tikki and then to dracul. :D
In hindsight, it was pretty useless to shift into tikki as the poison didn't work with the knockback... so I guess I completed it although it was harder than it could have been, so I'm kind of proud now. Will look at the new gorgon now.
Fran

Postby Blovski on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Half-Dragon is *great* on NC (magic and physical damage, high health, loads of walls downstairs) - I think I did it as JJ (weytwut guaranteed and +100 conv. points ) with bear mace prepped before converting to Dracul. Poison works with knockback only when you aren't doing extra damage from it - I think I made that mistake as well : )
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:50 pm

A minor thing, but is anyone using WONNAFYT as a way to get popcorn out of the inital passages? I'm finding it a bit harder do do "perfect" runs... Has the old "find altars first then unleash mathematic brokenness" approach been killed for anyone else too?

I'm asking because it's something I run into every run these days, and it impacted my gameplay quite a bit. Having fool proof ways to deal with it would improve my efficency in any dungeon.

Also, taking that into account, IMAWAL seems worse than ever, while ENDISWALL sometimes feels like a godsend. I also find myself having to use LEMISI quite a bit more in the endgame because of all this.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Nandrew on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Nandrew

Postby Nandrew on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:40 pm

Though I should add that IMAWAL *does* squeeze some value from tougher level 9 enemies where most other glyphs really wouldn't. I don't actually sacrifice L1 creatures that much for petrify nowadays unless I've got a pretty sweet deal lined up, but I'll regularly wall-up a couple of L8/9 creatures for extra experience.
Nandrew

Postby Blovski on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Been having the same problem a little - I think Magnet: Defend really needs to guarantee that you get either Pisorf or Endiswal. It's rarely a positive to start off with a random glyph you don't actually want bundled into your inventory, the prep is expensive and it's less reliable than and not as powerful as magnet: fireball. It's really frustrating to specifically prep for a wall-breaking glyph and then *still* have to scum for one.

Wonafyt is much more useful now. Imawal is usually pretty quick conversion fodder for me atm so a small buff would not be unwelcome.
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:21 pm

Agree on the "getting milage out of lvl 9 XP waste" funcionality of IMAWAL (been doing the same). Popcorn's too valuable to waste anyway, for a plethora of reasons.

However, the new inital clogging situation makes Endiswal a resource saver. I think it's original buff came because the prevalence of more open spaced dungeons all but removed any need to destroy walls. I don't mind it having added funcionality, but I almost feel like suggesting te effect moved to IMAWAL - walling stuff up without having ENDISWAL to clear the wall seems like quite a liability these days. Either that or a mana cost reduction or something, seeing as I ofen feel the need to use a positioning glyph on a monster beforehand (might just be the dungeons I'm playing).

I do like the clogging, though. Dungeons with too much open sapace were way too exploity. And I'd deffinitely be prepping a guaranteed ENDISWAL for Monk on most runs now.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:26 pm

IMAWAL suffers three big issues currently:

1) most dungeons are so claustrophobic now that you have a great risk of cutting yourself off, or at very minimum requiring ENDISWAL or WEYTWUT.

2) with WONAFYT now a common occurrence early in the dungeon, your level 1 monsters are usually worth 2 XP. This means your opportunity cost for a low-level kill is increased. Removing high-level monsters is an option, but that has its own opportunity cost and will only ever make up a small portion of your IMAWAL use.

3) the way curse works, removing monsters (even non-XP monsters) from play is dangerous and difficult.

It'd be nice if IMAWAL had other uses. I've always been rooting for it to grant 10 CP per level of the monster petrified.
Darvin

Postby Fran on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Fran

Postby Darvin on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Have that effect only trigger when it's used on XP-granting enemies; easy fix.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons