[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - My testing patterns - what next?

My testing patterns - what next?

All things Desktop Dungeons

My testing patterns - what next?

Postby Nandrew on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:42 am

So recently, I've been playing a lot of physical-heavy classes (Crusader, Berserker, Paladin as a spellsword), focusing on the directionally Vicious dungeons (except Demonic Library, should really get to that) and sometimes going for a Purist Den or Venture Cave (they're ... yeah, pretty easy by lategame, but I really enjoy the occasional ROMP when I don't have much time. This is where the ten-minute DD game is hiding :P).

I've been enjoying some success by experimenting with Goblins. They're not invariably awesome, but some combos have worked interestingly. Proud to say that I've had major Goblin warrior victories in every direction except north now. Maximising their use has required some careful thought and the right loadouts, but with the correct understanding they make *surprisingly* good Crusaders -- though you can't afford to be clumsy about it.

I've been worshipping most of the gods, with a special focus on GG and a tendency to ignore Mystera -- more as a result of testing priorities than anything.

Given that -- quite amazingly -- the only building in my test Kingdom still NOT fully upgraded is the Witch, I've decided that I'll be testing the Witch quest tree this week, among other things. Am probably going to be tweaking EM, so she'll go up the test chain too.

What else do you think I should be experiencing in my playtime right now? I'm not going to take everyone's suggestions, I'll be looking for the most frequently recurring ideas and go with playing those.
Nandrew

Re: My testing patterns - what next?

Postby Blovski on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:48 am

I think suffering through Slime Pit's probably a good idea - that dungeon seems a bit out of whack on difficulty compared to other hards (not knocking the idea, I mean, it's not unfun but it does feel like a vicious, and there aren't enough opportunities for a lot of physical characters and it's very item/subdungeon-dependent whether you can actually win it). Also, monks with the current curse thing maybe important.
Last edited by Blovski on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:43 am

This was added awhile back, but the gold Class challenges needs some balancing/attention. I fell like the only one who's won them all.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Murdus on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:47 pm

The gold challenges are pretty much broken, as far as I'm concerned - Hell, I can't even beat some of the silver ones! (Thief Silver and Priest Silver comes to mind, along with Paladin Gold. Oh -god-, Paladin Gold...) You might want to suffer through it, along with the Slime Pits and Ick Swamp.

Slime Pits is much harder than Hard, for anyone that's not a pure fireballer. I mean, sure, everyone -can- be one, but that doesn't make it a good idea. I'm having difficulty clearing Ick Swamp aswell on a regular basis (e.g.: after trying seven times with anything that's NOT a spellcaster, throw my hands up in the air, yelling "I (profanity) give up!")

Vicious Tower of Gaan'telet is another interesting one. I can clear it with anything in theory... Then suddenly Level 10 Animated Armors. I got nothing with the difficulty of VToG, really. It's just the Pactmaker floor that simply feels broken. I can clear it without using too many resources, I could probably also down Horatio - But nope! AAs. The only time I managed to get past a level 10 AA floor was when Vampires were broken, and overpowered.

I think that's it.
Murdus

Postby gjaustin on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:22 pm

gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Agree on Ick Swamp and Slime Pit. Definitely dungeons that could use attention. Ick is significantly harder than HHoS, Shifting Passages, and Labyrinth, which throws a curve into the southern dungeon progression. Slime Pit probably should be under consideration for reassignment as a vicious level. As it currently stands, its closer to being the easiest vicious than it is to being the hardest hard.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Sort of like Warlord Gold when you could bring preps.

What to do about Slime Pits... There are two problems. The bosses encompass two completely different strategies (One being anti fireball and the other anti-melee). On top of this, the monster set is cruel. Both problems need to be addressed if you want to bring it back to the level of Magma Mines or so.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Blovski on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Agreed, it's harder than Demonic Library or Naga City.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Has Naga City really been nerfed that much? I've gotta play it a few more times.

Anyways, given that the vicious difficulty has been coming down it seems appropriate for Slime Pits to be reclassified as vicious.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons