Something different: An annotated game of kingdom management

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Something different: An annotated game of kingdom manage

Postby Lujo on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:07 am

I can concur on your final thoughts, about everything, and I think about all of that has found itself on my "list" thread. Work for the dev's, it seems :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Squeezed in one last run. Managed a Warmonger victory against Creeplight Ruins

It took me two tries. My first attempt didn't gain enough traction and I had nowhere near enough resources to handle Anoobis. The second try started me right next to Glowing Guardian, an awesome find for someone going Warmonger. Got Humility at 2, used about 10 doses of Absolution, and then dominated the board. I picked up Enlightenment midway through the game and then noticed an altar to Dracul. I waited until the popcorn phase, used the sacrificial goat to turn the Cultists into Shades, and then destroyed them for even more GG piety. Then, perversely, I switched to Dracul, took Blood Hunger, and coasted to victory off of bloodpools, Blood Shield, and multiple Blood Swells.
Sidestepper

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 pm

I thought I'd come back to this now that this little project is long since over with. I had stopped updating because there wasn't much left to do that was interesting and annotating it was becoming a chore. I basically finished the Den of Danger quests and then went after Horatio. End of story.

I started a new game a few weeks ago and I feel that the progression is smoother. Between the new Unlikely Heroes quests, a guaranteed dragon at Cursed Oasis, and the cash prize for finishing the bronze challenges, there is a lot more money available in the beginning. I still was missing the Church-3 by the time I did GT, but I could have easily gotten the money from quests if I had wanted to.

It does feel a bit strange having such a huge cash pool tied up in off map events. Between the bronzes and the puzzle packs there is 4200 gold, which is about 20% or so of the total gold needed to max out your Kingdom (extra lockers, Veto slots, and superbank not being counted). This isn't a crazy number or anything, but progress made on those fronts doesn't do anything to advance the story the way that everything else does. It feels like you are playing in two orthogonal worlds. It would be cool if your progress on the guild challenges affected in main game in some manner, even if just cosmetically. Like, maybe there could be little goats milling about on your Kingdom screen until you finally finish Fighter bronze, and then after doing that a little djinni raider can be seen flitting about the adventure map in the northern regions, and then after Fighter silver is done the Quaking Arena gets drawn into some corner of the Kingdom.

So far as post-GT gold is concerned, I'd like to see both the prices for the 'convenience' upgrades go down and the purse for trophies go up. 150 a head is pretty low, and makes Bet on Boss almost worthless. Not even the burning effect redeems BoB. And while I appreciate that the object of the 'convenience' upgrades is to give players a long term gold sink, it goes too far. Almost no one will ever be able to buy even the second locker or veto slot. I'd rather that the prices be brought down and maybe 5 more levels of 'hyperbank' be added to give the player something do with his gold. Or maybe even just have a soft cap where each upgrade costs 5,000 stacking gold but there is no theoretical limit. Anyone who has amassed the 75,000 that it would take to hit +5 has probably 100%'ed the game by then anyway.
Last edited by Sidestepper on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:18 pm

I agree on the post game gold. Why can't it go back to the beginning of the game, where things were worth 300?

Also, it'd be sweet to have the Class Challenges affect the map. Of course, they need to get our full colorful awesome looking map out first, but after that, if it's not too much of a hassle, it'd be great.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons