[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Gold strategies and a "You're an Idiot" button

Gold strategies and a "You're an Idiot" button

All things Desktop Dungeons

Gold strategies and a "You're an Idiot" button

Postby rgeneson on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 am

I've reached teir 2 with all of my classes and unlocked all the races but I'm getting slammed in the Hard dungeons. I think things will be a lot easier once I have my tier 3 classes and special items unlocked but I'm having a very hard time making enough money to do so. Each dungeon run requires a lot of time (30-40 minutes for me) and the majority of those end in death or resignation. I know the game isn't meant to be easy but it's starting to feel like it's meant to be actively frustrating :) I've no doubt I'm simply misusing what I've got or I haven't unlocked what I need to make things go more smoothly, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

On another note I'd like to request a pop-up when I click on a monster marked 'DEATH' (something like the pop-up when you select 'Resign'.) They are already marked and the pop-up would save me so very, very much time in the incessant replaying. The majority of the time I simply have accidentally clicked twice and denied myself the chance to apply a life-saving buff. The worst, though, are when I'm just trying to get focus back on the game and it sets off a click on the last place my mouse was -- that is very depressing. For me, at least, this simple change would make the game so much more playable. It would also change the 'feel' more toward a puzzle game than a 'hack-n-slash' crawler which seems to be to suit the overall intention. With a warning I'll at least know my own lack of foresight has denied me the victory instead of tired eyes or bad luck.
rgeneson

Re: Gold strategies and a "You're an Idiot" button

Postby Nandrew on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:11 am

Quick question: which Hard dungeons are you talking about? First-level "regionals" (Western Jungle, Northern Desert, etc) or the second-level ones (Havendale Bridge, Creeplight, and so on)?

I've been thinking of making a few dungeons a *little* easier and feedback on this count would be good (and no, veterans, you're excluded from this convo. That's enough about Slime and Ick, already! Though they'll be looked at too :P)
Nandrew

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:26 pm

How about if we veterans take this approach? The dungeons I think are EASIEST and why.

Rock Garden is by far the easiest of the Hard dungeons. By FAR. (Spoons!)

Havendale is probably the easiest Hard dungeon that feels like a Hard dungeon. (Sensation Stone)

Berserker Camp is also quite easy, as long as the level generation doesn't screw you over. (Bonus experience from leveling Berserkers, who are easy anyway).
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Rock garden allso has 3 bosses atm, and two of them have big resists to different stuff. Plus, the plants are nasty if you can't avoid them.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:46 pm

gjaustin

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Yeah, I'm placing Rock Garden in the easiest of the hard category as well. The special condition (the walls animate as golems) is a boon instead of a bane, and the Brothers have below the curve damage and health. Their only strong point is their resistances, but those are fixed and can be planned around. I see the Brothers as being resource-neutral, since you get a pile of gold and xp for relatively little effort, and you can sometimes even come out ahead.
Sidestepper

Postby Blovski on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Hm. Always found Rock Garden moderately tricky. Brothers aren't too bad but the third boss can be serious business when added to them.
Blovski

Postby rgeneson on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:25 pm

So far the only one I've made it through is Creeplight. I find Hexx quite irritating as I haven't figured out the trick to managing the revenants yet. The game just throws so much at you at once with each step forward -- I've starting keeping calc running while I play so that I can calculate a few moves ahead.
rgeneson

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:01 pm

The trick with the Revenants is to avoid fighting them until you massively out-level them and can one-shot them. Obviously, you can't do this with the highest tier Revenants, but you can save a lot of long term resources by avoiding rather than confronting the mod-level ones.

The other trick is to avoid making Revenants at lower levels altogether. Catfight as hard as you can, picking on the highest level monsters possible, so that you rise through the levels quickly, leaving as few Revenants behind as possible. Once you get to the popcorn phase, you can then pick off the lower level monsters, and then easily dispatch their revenants.

Your first time through Hexx should ideally be done with a Priest. Paladins work too, but require proficiency with the religion system to get the most out of them. The Slayer Wand is nice because it doesn't spawn a Revenant and should be used on a level 9 monster if at all possible.
Sidestepper

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons