[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Need More Information...

Need More Information...

All things Desktop Dungeons

Need More Information...

Postby pjw on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:06 pm

I might just be missing something(s), but there are some mysteries in the game. :)

1. When you can't upgrade something (upgrade button is grey), does that mean:
a) you already upgraded it, and you're done? Forever?
b) you just haven't gotten to a point in the overall game where you can upgrade?
c) you just don't currently have the requirements to upgrade? (enough gold? other upgrade dependencies completed?)

2. You should know what you're buying. Mystery items suck audibly. (e.g. gate scroll). In a game like this--one that requires planning and strategy--rolling the dice is really annoying. And then, if you buy it, you don't even know what it does, so have to try it to find out. And then you have to assume that your understanding of what happened is correct and there isn't something you're missing. Please don't do this with items.

3. You should know what monster abilities do, for the same reason. If a monster has an ability, then you should be able to mouse-over that ability and get a short explanation; maybe not one with exact numbers and percentages, but one that gives a good idea of what you're getting yourself into if you attack.

In the original game, I was able to deal with some of these things by consulting the wiki, but this time around, that info should be accessible in the game itself in some manner.
Making games is like making hotdogs - its messy, scary, and not at all like enjoying the end product. -Sigma-X
pjw

Re: Need More Information...

Postby Hexagon on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:24 pm

I agree with all three points.

Also, another piece of information I think is critical for the player, is to know what pleases the gods and what angers them (the wiki helps at the moment, but I think it would be better to have it ingame). There is some satisfaction when you get piety unexpectedly, but there is A LOT of frustration when you lose piety unexpectedly (especially when you just started worshiping that god).

I'm thinking a small mouseover tooltip for each god's avatar menu would be perfect.
Hexagon

Postby pakoito on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:50 pm

Last edited by pakoito on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pakoito

Postby michal.lewtak on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:10 pm

michal.lewtak

Postby pjw on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:51 am

Making games is like making hotdogs - its messy, scary, and not at all like enjoying the end product. -Sigma-X
pjw

Postby pakoito on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 pm

If you use it you get a textbox saying it has ancient weird writings and stuff...adding more mystery to it.

Plus, it spawn in every dungeon from the moment you unlock Tier 3.
pakoito

Return to Desktop Dungeons