[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Instant Worship

Instant Worship

All things Desktop Dungeons

Instant Worship

Postby Deadman on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:49 am

Feels like it would be a LOT more useful if it teleported the shrine to you.
Going for a random deity is fairly risky business anyway, let alone realizing that thanks to other things you won't be able to get to yours until your level 7+
Deadman

Re: Instant Worship

Postby FDru on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:37 am

It's not even a gamble worth taking, since you're probably just going to reroll 3/4ths of the time with it. Actually, most of the priest preps seems fairly useless.

Indulgence is okay but you can get one anytime by desecrating another altar (and that's usually worth doing just for the piety anyway). The fact that you still lose piety for upsetting your god makes indulgence kind of "meh" to begin with though. The only time I ever want to utilize an indulgence is when I'm tapped out which usually needs to be planned and otherwise doesn't happen often (maybe just with Mystera regularly).

Scouting bosses seems a bit pointless. Why do I want to find a boss early? Scouting starting position is neat but I'm going to be exploring it anyway. I guess that explains why they cost very little gold to use, but scouting altars is definitely the best one and probably the only priest prep ever worth taking.
FDru

Postby Galefury on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Scouting bosses is extremely useful in levels with multiple bosses (demonic library, sludge mines). Scouting altars is one of the most useful preparations, usually far better than the other church preparations. Scouting starting position is also quite neat because of the huge radius. One way to remedy this a little is to give scouted altars their own symbol instead of using the generic ?. This would make the other scouting preps a little more useful.
Galefury

Postby FDru on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:12 pm

FDru

Postby Galefury on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:47 pm

When there are multiple bosses you want to have some unexplored tiles left to regen between boss fights, so you need to be a bit more careful about where you go. Also revealing a large part of the level layout can be quite helpful. In the sludge mines scouting altars is probably better than scouting bosses, but the 5 subbosses in the library mean you can reveal a huge part of the level by scouting bosses.
Galefury

Postby platypotamus on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:49 pm

There are boss/class combinations when that strategy isn't going to cut it. Monk vs Frank the Zombie, or the Super Meat Man boss... they have so many HP, and you do so little damage.... but you have HUGE regen capabilities. Hitting the boss while you still have a lot of dungeon to explore can be pretty crucial. BloodMage can end up in similar situations. Or Assassin (due to poisoning boss then regenning).
platypotamus

Postby Deadman on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:58 am

I've found scouting temples to be handy if I'm doing a certain class/race and really want the mage temple or Taurog ASAP.
But you're right, overall the preparations of the priest area are fairly on the weak side.
Deadman

Postby q 3 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:03 am

All of the scouting preparations are handy because they replicate the Scouting Orb from the alpha (is that still around?). They show you the gist of what's in that area without you having to use up the tiles for regeneration. If you're looking for monsters or glyphs, you can avoid "seeing" blank spaces until you need them; likewise, if you just need empty tiles to regenerate, you can avoid coming into contact with monsters that have life steal.
q 3

Return to Desktop Dungeons