[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Show me your Veto Slots

Show me your Veto Slots

All things Desktop Dungeons

Show me your Veto Slots

Postby Nurator on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:32 pm

I thought long about what to put in the Veto Slots. Maybe we can all show ours to help the devs figure out what items suck^^
Here are my choices(got only the 4 from the gold challenges, too lazy to farm)

1. Tower Shield - too weak for a nonresist-fight with clocking one inv slot, too unreliable for resistfighting
2. -3%resist on fireball-thing - never use it, if the boss has resist, i change my playstyle
3. guitar - never figured out to really put use to it
4. empty yet
Nurator

Re: Show me your Veto Slots

Postby Darvin on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Nothing; I feel veto slots defeat the entire point of a beta test, and certainly my desire to have the widest range of potential content at my disposal.
Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:53 pm

I usually use them on either small, inconsequential things like the spoon or the blue bead (bb has its uses though), or on outrageously inefficient items like Yendor and Zot (I sometimes switch this out when prepping translocation).
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:53 am

Blue bead is AWESOME!!!

I'm with Darvin here. Full open shop pool only.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:09 am

The god-awfull shop defiling usleless bead of pointlessness is AWESOME!!! We have documented proof of it being a major cog in wrecking face in unbeatable dungeons! :D

However, I really have no clue about what I'd put in a veto slot if I had one. Really. I'd probably try to rig one of the item "sets" to always give me the best stuff, but what exactly is the best stuff would be anyone's guess. My pet name for the Blue Bead is living proof - that's what I used to think about it, and now I think the complete oposite.

If I was going for just pruning out stuff with cost-efficency issues I'd probably go... Hmmm. I'd probably... Hmmmm... I'd...

Ok, let's take a different approach to what Darvin and Avatar said, except it also agrees with them. I'd keep stuff I want to extensively test IN rather than locker it OUT. So the stuff I'd be vetoing would change a lot, with most of it being items which are sort of confirmed as "fixed" or rather "won't be fiddled with by devs any further".

Scenario 1 - ELITE: Veto all elite items except the Alch Scroll and the Guitar. Alch scroll is all kinds of stupid, the guitar is a nice non-commital thingy and this would make Elite items a prep I'd be able to use with my regular Compression scroll routine. Possibly leave a keg or 2 in there, not sure. This would work if the Alch Scroll is indeed an Elite item (not sure), if not, then veto everything except the Guitar and a specific thing I want to see.

Scenario 2 - BASIC: Veto out the +10 HP necklace (I only really need a bunch of potions and slayer wand for early levels), the Spoon (not entirely sure on this one), possibly the +2 mana necklace (+2 mana not worth an Inventory slot, although, again, not sure)... Anyway i'd try to get as close to only having the Tower Shiled, Bloody Sigil, Troll Heart and Fine Sword in the pool (maybe I've forgotten something). And I'm not too sure about the fine sword either. The other three supply stuff you can't easily find elsewhere.

Scenario 3 - QUEST: This is problematic.

It's the largest category, with the biggest variety of stuff in it, and also with the most stuff that needs testing / figuring out / tweaking. If I locker stuff I'm not using for convinience - I shoot my betatest in the foot. Right now that would mean Vetoing Fire Heart and Crystal ball (no CP - lujo no buy, also CB does have a really silly effect but 5 gold per pop really puts me off), The Piety Charm (which is hella strong, but 18 gold, again, I'm a cheapskate).

I'm not sure how to use my veto slots (if I had any) to either prune or tailor my Quest item prep and set up an embargo. I'd have to see what gets lockered and prepped, and then see what needs to go out of the pool to make it cheezy.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:37 pm

I'd probably shut out Mage Plate for the quest item pool.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:16 pm

I hadn't thought about vetoing almost all of the Elite Items to make the others appear more often.

Has anyone actually verified how that works though? Depending on how the veto is coded, it may very well just do a reroll every time a vetoed item comes up and ignore preps.
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:07 pm

If it works the way I said, then "embargoing" either most of the elites or most of the basic items could break/make interesting either the "Elite" or "Extra Shop"/"Alchemist" preps. I guess it's obvious I'd come up with something like that, what with the extensive background of rigging the RNG to give me cheeze and all that, takes a certain criminal mindset....

This whole discussion has me thinking about a thread that's probably long overdue and that's the "Quest Items" thread - too much different stuff in that category, difference between all sorts of stuff, and suggestions for separating it all into two categories, trinkets, all that jazz. That whole system needs tweaking and the Market could use one more "Increse chance" category allthough I'm not sure along what lines should that division be made.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Hmm... I don't think quest items and class challenge items are really the same thing.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons